took out a new line so i could upgrade my line to the iphone 5

utl768

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
i added a data plan so i could buy the phone

will apple be able to switch the phone to my current line and then cancel the data on the dummy line (i have an old ass flip phone ill use for that line)

or do i have to call att and have them do it

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
i added a data plan so i could buy the phone

will apple be able to switch the phone to my current line and then cancel the data on the dummy line (i have an old ass flip phone ill use for that line)

or do i have to call att and have them do it
added a data plan to what
which carrier
what was your old phone
did old phone have data plan

mabeyman

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I have a very similar question. My online order thru AT&T is gonna take forever so I'm trying to reserve one in an apple store for pickup. Can I use another line on my plan to hold the phone and then switch to my line at the apple store? (If I successfully reserved one I'd cancel my online AT&T order before going to the apple store)

Tonight I found one I wanted but was scared it would not work and I'd lose my online order. :(

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So you just have to pay the 10.00 per month then?
I though the data has to stay on..
Yes, it's $10/mo unless you've converted to the mobile share plan, which is $30/mo for even a dumbphone.

Data has to stay on only if you have a smartphone attached to the line. Once you replace it with a dumbphone, you can remove data.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
Yes, it's $10/mo unless you've converted to the mobile share plan, which is $30/mo for even a dumbphone.

Data has to stay on only if you have a smartphone attached to the line. Once you replace it with a dumbphone, you can remove data.
Ok thx..
I need to add two lines in nov not sure what phones yet.
1 I just need a simple phone just for calls.
The other one I need a good texting phone no data.
My daughter wants a new ip she has the 4 now.
So I may do the 4s for her if I can swap hers out.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
I did the same thing and added a line to get the 5 for $199.No need for a phone at all on the dummy line.I did it to keep my May '13 eligibility for an upgrade.They will xfer your data plan w/o any issues.No data plan needed for the dummy line (obviously).

----------

Correct,by adding a line for $10,you are spreading out the $249 early upgrade fee over 24 months.

So you just have to pay the 10.00 per month then?
I though the data has to stay on..