Took over a year but AT&T caught me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Had my son on my old 3GS (data off) for about 2 years and my wife on my old iPhone 4 (data off) for about 4 months and ATT finally sent them both the dreaded 'you need a data plan' text. Went to att.com to check the account and ATT has tacked the $30 data plan on both phones. Had to happen I guess.

I've got the old $15 data plan which is reasonable because we just don't use that much data on these phones. ATT no longer has that choice, just the $20 300mb choice. What a serious gype.

Not sure what my next move is, but I'm not paying $40 a month for nothing that's for sure. HTC Freestyle off ebay perhaps...

2. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Can they add a data plan just because you use a smartphone? That doesn't seem right. I should have a choice in what phone I use if I bought it off contract. Is that legal, I would look into it.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Perfectly legal

4. chambone, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I find it surprising that they still get away with these forced data plans, legally speaking. And $20 for 300MB is daylight robbery too.

Depending on what choices you have around where you live, I'd vote with my wallet and dump these money-junkies at the first opportunity.

5. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I don't see how. You're not using data.

I can see if you signed a contract with them for a smartphone but to force me to have data plan because I choose to buy a smartphone off contract just isn't right. It should be looked at.

The phone I choose to use is my choice. If I choose to use cell data then I don't have a problem paying it. But if I choose to use a smartphone and no data, I shouldn't be forced into a data plan.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

AT&T is not compelled to provide service in a particular fashion that a customer wants or to a person at all. In this case, the deal is that customer must choose a data plan along with a voice and text option. He also has the option to not choose that plan and get service from somewhere else.

I'm not saying its right that a person is forced to have a data plan, but there is nothing to "look into" legally or otherwise.

8. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

I got lucky that I get 3g with T-Mobile on my iPhone 5 in my area. And the EDGE coverage is just fast enough for basic web browsing when I'm not near a 3g or wifi signal.

$30 a month (if you use the WalMart activation kit. I got around by just calling T-Mobile and a supervisor let me activate it through them luckily under that exclusive plan)

Nano sim available at T-mobile Brick and Mortar stores.

100 minutes
    Unlimited Text
    Unlimited Data ( throttled at 5GB compared to 100mb on the $50/month)

I use Talkatone app with a Google Voice number when I am on wifi or have 3g coverage. Therefore the 100 minutes are rarely used up. I think I used 15 minutes of the 100 this month but did a majority of my talking through Talkatone.

9. Docd62 macrumors regular

But even you don't have a contract you are still using their network and they have the right to impose any rules they choose (as long as these rules don't break any laws) for you to use their network.

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

So you will be paying $75 a month for data. Your best option may be to switch to the shared data plan. $30 for 3 GBs for 3 phones and just turn off the cellular data on your wife's and son's phones so you will be the only one who would access data. Yes, $30 is twice of what you are currently paying but it would be $45 less than what you will be paying.

Of course the other option is to drop your wife's and son's numbers from AT&T and do pay as you go.

11. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

That's like saying, since I choose to have a HD TV for movies but still want basic cable then the cable company has the right to FORCE me to use a HD box and pay for it.

They provide a service, phone and data. If I choose to have the phone then that's the service they provide. I can't use data because I don't have a data plan. But to FORCE me into a data plan because of the type of phone I choose doesn't seem legal. It's my choice on the type of phone. I'm talking about me buying a iPhone or whatever from a private seller or full price. I just can't see how it's legal to force me to pay for something I don't use just because of the type of phone I chose.

12. arvacker macrumors member

I would agree with you if att doesn't have plans without data, but they do.
    And while they cannot be forced to provide service in a way the customer wants, they do have to provide services they offer to any customer who pays for the plan. it would seem like a violation of the principle of equality that someone with a smartphone is denied access to a certain type of service...

i would look into it.

13. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this would you? Closest I can come up with on the att site is a 1gig shared plan @ $40 + $45 dollars for each additional smartphone. $175 a month and I'm currently paying $80.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's in the basic terms. You want to use AT&T you follow there rules. If you chose to use a smartphone on there network (see you made a choice) then they charge you how they please.

15. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

It's legal because there is no law against it. And the matter of the fact is you know the requirements of the contract before agreeing to them. You have the choice to not use their service if you do not agree or abide to the stipulations. If TV service providers could figure out a way to detect if you have a HD TV or not, they probably would try to write in a HD package stipulation into the agreement.

I do agree that I do not like the principle of it, but change requires action on a large scale.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, when you mention "principles of equality" it seems to be another way of saying that you don't think the situation is fair--and your sense of fairness doesnt mean much here. The company says that if you own a certain type of device that you must also buy a data plan. If you don't want to purchase that plan then you can get another type of device or you can find another company that provides a service that you want.

To translate this to another situation, it's like walking into a Mercedes dealership and deciding that you don't want to pay full price for the car as it is. You then approach the manufacturer and demand that a cheaper engine be placed into the car you want and for them to sell it at a cheaper price just for you. Do you think a company should be forced to comply?

17. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

If you're not using data on these, then Red Pocket has 250 mins and unlimited text for $30. http://goredpocket.com/plans

Consumer Cellular offers 350 mins, 1000 texts, and 100MB data for the same amount. AARP members get a 5% discount. Just sayin

Both use AT&T's network.

18. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm over at the t-moble site and they have exactly what I want. 3 phone plan (your own from ATT/GSM) with 200mb data each for $80 a month. Ad $20 for various other monthly charges and were right at what I'm paying now for one smartphone and 2 flipphones.

19. TPadden macrumors 6502a

They also have phones without data :rolleyes:.

20. ftaok, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

While it's likely that AT&T isn't breaking any laws by requiring data plans on smartphones, it's still ridiculous. Keep in mind that the other major carriers do this too.

The problem is that the FCC should be protecting the rights of the consumer, which is what they are chartered to do. But the FCC commissioners are all paid off by the tele companies. After all, the FCC was the entity that allowed for AT&T, VZ, Sprint to all have different tech for digital. We should have a single digital standard (GSM) and every time a new tech comes out, all of the providers should have to follow a set standard. After all, they are operating on public spectrum, which they lease from the public.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It stinks, but those are the terms of the contract you signed.

22. TPadden macrumors 6502a

......... and the Post Office should be in charge of the FCC, since it is all about communicating information over distances by carriers ;)......

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Haven't checked the last 30 days but doesn't ATT has a $5. 50MB data plan? Good enough for the occasional and lousy $5. This is no-contract, Pre-paid of course.

When u guys post carrier-related stuff here, be sure to mention your phone ON or OFF CONTRACT for the appropriate replies.

24. arvacker macrumors member

Not really, it's more like this: a certain mercedes car has multiple engine options. This would be the same as the dealer refusing too sell you a slower/less powerful engine, based on the amount of speeding tickets you collected over the years...

you discriminate (refuse service) based on the person's choice of owning a smartphone but only using data over wifi.

25. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Wow, AT&T loves swindling their customers. That much for 300mb..? T-Mobile charges 10 for 2gb..