Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Some of the terminals have a little bit of a different look than the older ones. I took this at a newer Wallgreens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 644

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mine has had that though since before Apple Pay was announced. I thought there were debit cards that had some kind of chip in them that allowed you to just hold the card over the terminal and pay like that. I could be mistaken.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Yea this terminal has been here for a little while when this Walgreens opened, but all of them don't have that blue piece on top. The older ones are just all black like all one piece.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Mine has had that though since before Apple Pay was announced. I thought there were debit cards that had some kind of chip in them that allowed you to just hold the card over the terminal and pay like that. I could be mistaken.

Yeah, you can see the contactless logo near the top of the device. Same logo is used for contactless cards (over here anyway).

OT but I actually realised that last week I think I entered my PIN only once. The rest of the debit transactions (about 30 odd in London, UK) were contactless. It's noticeably taking over here, would be great to see if Apple Pay and its mobile phone based competitors take off too.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
anroid has had this feature to some extent for a while now.

But Apple and there fans will once again claim credit for this brand new discovery.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013

My PNC card does, the problem with it is, if you want to process it as a debit transaction (which is what a lot of smaller stores would prefer) it will automatically process it as a credit card.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Walgreens has been rolling these terminals out to all stores, old and new, over the last three years. At this point, all stores should have them in place, but in reality I'm sure there are a few that still have the old terminals. Nothing ever goes exactly as planned when you're upgrading all of the equipment in over 8000 stores.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA

But Apple and there fans will once again claim credit for this brand new discovery.

Soooo what's your point? Yea android had it for years and no one used that mess they rushed together. Apple may come out late but at least it'll be ready for prime time and actually get it off the ground. Watch how NFC takes off after this year because of Apple. Doesn't have anything to do with who did it first, I'm sure you've seen the movie "The Social Network"

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
I love the Android fan boys who spend their time on the iPhone forum lol. Seriously? Cell phones are serious business!!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Apple didn't produce the first mp3 player...
Apple didn't produce the first consumer oriented smartphone...
Apple didn't produce the first tablet / slate computer...

But in each case they delivered easy to use products that generated wide adoption where the predecessor never really took off.

So yes, Apple didn't produce the first phone capable of mobile payments... but they've already brought far more attention to it than Android ever managed to achieve.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013

But in each case they delivered easy to use products that generated wide adoption where the predecessor never really took off.

So yes, Apple didn't produce the first phone capable of mobile payments... but they've already brought far more attention to it than Android ever managed to achieve.

Solid.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Just as a counterpoint -- not everything Apple touches takes over the world...

Apple TV for example. Moderately popular, but not the market leader by any stretch.

Edit to add another thought...

With the above examples it's important to remember that Apple didn't "take over the world" overnight in any of these categories. Widespread adoption occurred over multiple product generations.

I expect Apple Pay to follow this pattern. Usefulness at retail locations will be muted for a while and I suspect will uptick as retailers move towards EMV adoption over the next year. If ApplePay succeeds in achieving widespread adoption it will be a gradual thing over a couple of years.

I also expect to see a bunch of doom-and-gloom clickbait articles proclaiming the demise of Apple Pay when it isn't universally accepted by Black Friday.

Last edited:

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal

Whats the point of being first but cant use it? Apple maybe not the first but they doing it RIGHT, apple has AUTORITY that google and samsung DONT have

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

I also like the emphasis apple put into privacy. I'm sure Google collects the purchase data since their whole business model is about ads, and I wouldn't be surprised if Isis collects user information too

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
My walgreens has had these for a few months now. I tried the ISIS Wallet with my Gs4 a few months ago.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Those readers work for all card. The top for NFC, the side for swipe and sign, and the bottom for inserting chip and pin card.

hbcubs

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
SoCal
Panera has installed new terminals as well, however, theirs are much larger with a big screen. They've got signs all over their stores advertising the tap-to-pay functionality. If I go again I'll snap a photo.

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Some of the terminals have a little bit of a different look than the older ones. I took this at a newer Wallgreens.

They have had these for a while...They work with Google Wallet and Blink enabled credit cards as well...I've been paying with Google Wallet using these for over a year at this point.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Whats the point of being first but cant use it? Apple maybe not the first but they doing it RIGHT, apple has AUTORITY that google and samsung DONT have
Apple doesn't exactly have authority but they sure as hell have marketing and consumer awareness going for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.