Top 10 Stupidest New Laws in California for 2017

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 30, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/12/29/top-10-stupidest-new-laws-california-2017/
    sorry for the biased link, but the laws are indeed there.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

6.SB 1383: Controlling Cow Flatulence.

Are they going to vegetarian it up ?

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I don't really care about any of those except the plastic bag ban. Drives me ****ing nuts all the time.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m all for single-user restrooms. It solves 2 problems.

1. Curtailing the predicted mass migration stampede of southern bathroom loving perverts whose livelihood is under threat from southern anti-progress laws.

2. Shy bladder

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm slight disappointed in your choice of references. They tend to use disingenuous interpretations while merely claiming conservative ones.

Here's an example. Breitbart claims that California wants to legalize child prostitution. Here's a summary. Under that bill, minors could be taken into temporary custody, but not charged under anti-prostitution laws.

Breitbart also criticizes prop 57. This one appears to be a bit more mixed, and the LA Times (not typically regarded as a conservative publication) mentioned criticisms. It's heavily edited, but you can see the full text here among other propositions. As you might be aware, crimes are handled differently if they pertain to minors. Some minors are tried as adults due to the circumstances of their crimes. One change here is that a judge rules on how they will be tried rather than a prosecutor. I'm actually a little skeptical as to whether this will help anything. Judges aren't (in theory) incentivized by trial outcomes.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I did apologize for the beliased link

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I know. I meant slightly, not "slightly". It's kind of like the difference between giving someone the antidote and giving them "the antidote."

I could have simply stated that I wasn't being sarcastic, but then I wouldn't be able to jam in the stupid Raiders of the Lost Ark reference.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

My sister too. She's freakin livid. All it really did is transfer the cost of bags from the stores to the consumer. She says the only people that aren't frustrated are the super liberals that we're already using cloth bags. Everyone else is just pissed.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It's actually a Temple of Doom reference...

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

To be fair, depending on the chain of store they either give the same flimsy bags as before or they moved to a heavy duty plastic bag. Which take up considerable space if you do a lot of shopping. Other stores issue paper bags of the heavy duty variety.

We have canvas bags we had bought over the years because they were always sold at the register for about a dollar or two. These went up in price after individual countries enacted the plastic bag ban. The ban is silly but I've noticed a decline in bag trash, especially during a wind storm.

12. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I'm moving to California in the next couple of months, AB1785 is my favorite on the list. What exactly is the problem with it?

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Right, because everyone got rid of their stockpile already. Pfft.

As I understand it, they now charge for the bags, hence the transfer.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    Probably because use of devices was already illegal making it redundant:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/asm/ab_1751-1800/ab_1785_bill_20160630_amended_sen_v95.html

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

What about the one that "legalizes child prostitution"? That one made the rounds in right-wing internet forums recently.

BUT MUH MORALZ!

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yeah. Yikes. I also dig the "gun magazines bad"/"pot good"/"lighter sentences good" approach. Makes total sense. What could possibly go wrong?

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think you guys aren't reading the same thing. Notice how it's only removes the ability to file charges against a minor, not someone procuring illegal services. If you have minors in that situation, do you really want them to be afraid of talking to the police?

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wow, sort of waiting for the Trump tweet "I didn't ban Rosie from California, the California voters did that with SB 1383."

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

There seems to be a disconnect between what I said and what you read. The bag price itself is less than a penny in most cases. The fee they collect may go to them, but certain stores donate the money. A local chain does that. They donate the money to local schools or events. The new recyclable plastic bags are very good, though. You could probably cut off a strip and use it as a makeshift garrote if you were into that type of thing.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't know the details of the bag law over there, but in the UK every shop including fast food restaurants charge 5p per bag. It's a really good scheme that encourages people to reuse bags and has proven to cut down on rubbish. Wales adopted it some years ago with the rest of the UK following last year. I laughed at the outcry in England like it was the end of the world but it soon became a none issue. I carry canvas bags in my car now for shopping and if anything it makes life easier.

20. Eraserhead, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Raising minimum wage is good for ordinary Americans. Plastic bag charges are good too.

Probably agree with the OP on the gun laws, but it's difficult to tell.

Allowing felons to vote is probably good as is reducing americas over the top prison sentences - it will also probably save money. After all you always only do two days in prison.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The "Controlling Cow Flatulence" law is a bit of a misnomer as most gas is expelled as belching rather than flatulence (although Americans often stretch the meanings of words to mean virtually anything).As for the firearm related laws who knows, Americans relationships with their firearms is best discussed with your Physiatrist and not on an electronics forum.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You really think you're seeing fewer bags on the side of the roads less than a month after something passes as though everyone suddenly threw out their grocery bag stockpile? One local store donates to charity and you thing the big chains are doing that? God liberals are gullible. New recyclable bags? LOL. They're still plastic no? They just cost money now, a cost the store used to bear.

PS. I hope you like E. Coli.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

So now where do you put the litter box scoopings?

24. Snoopy4, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Sounds like a California problem. They'll probably have a pet poop disposal fee next year. They'll likely start charging more for kitchen garbage bags. I see a market for small plastic bag sales for small things.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Sounds like the government in the US should have done what we did. The money from carrier bags has to go to a good cause of the retailers choice. None of the money goes to the government. We've seen a 76% reduction in carrier bag waste with fair chunk of the population using canvas bags for grocery shopping. It's been a huge success here.

Change is always scary and people in England were in uproar when the charge was introduced despite it working brilliantly in Wales for a number of years previously. We had people suggesting the masses would boycott major retailers, the tills would be chaos with people refusing to buy bags. The stories and predictions were absolutely hilarious.

None of it happened...