Top 5 phones on the market (obviously iPhone 4s is on the list)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mysterioustko, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I'll preface this by saying I am a tech junkie. I love technology in general and was fortunate of enough to have been able to use all of these phones. Some of them I have spent more time with than others. Here's how I'd rank the top 5 phones on the market today.

1. Galaxy Nexus - Very snappy, this phone does everything quickly. Best mobile browsing experience hands down. NFC. RGB Notification LED is very handy. Best screen on the market period. Surprisingly decent battery life. Not as large as I'd have thought it would be (it's about the size of the galaxy S2). When they said 0 shutter lag they meant it. Pics in well lit areas are fine, low light could be better. Best cloud services implementation IMO (I have no content stored locally on this device yet all my stuff is there..including videos).
    2. Motorola Razr - This phone might have the 2nd best screen on the market. Pretty snappy. Very fast browser. Great build quality. Superior reception. Not the prettiest phone out there. Can't believe Moto skimped on NFC. Not a fan of Blur (or whatever they've decided to call it now) but it isn't as bad as I thought it might be, and it's easy to not use if you don't like it.
    3. Galaxy S2 - Great screen (though low res, the quality of the screen easily makes up for it). Very fast device. Can play just about any video format you throw at it. Would have been higher on the list if the screen resolution was higher. Next to the Razr and Galaxy Nexus the screen doesn't quite stack up due to resolution limitations.
    4. HTC Rezound - Good screen, though not quite as brilliant as the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr (probably the 3rd best screen on the market), contrast could be better. Sense gives Gingerbread a facelift and added functionality. Good build quality, feels very solid (I could have done without the red accents though). Also, I'm not a fan of the hump in this phone. Browsing was average. HTC needs to find a way to make Sense a little more lightweight as it shows it's heft at times.
    5. iPhone 4s - Very snappy device. Very clear screen but small, also contrast could use improvement. Data speeds need improvement. Too much bezel on face, not enough screen (wasted space on the front). Very nice camera, though the shutter speed could use some improvement. Not a fan of being tethered to iTunes. Web browsing is decent, but could be better (too much wasted space for such a small screen with the bottom bar and sometimes top bar). With a screen improvement I think it could leap frog the Rezound and Galaxy S2.

Note: I didn't mention the Galaxy Note because I consider it to be a niche device that quite frankly will be too large for the average person.

2. matttye macrumors 601

I've read lots of reviews suggesting the galaxy s2 is still top dog.

The nexus has a better screen, but it has a slower CPU and gpu, so struggles to run top of the line games. Plus it has no microsd card slot.

Apparently even though the galaxy s2 is six months old, it's still the fastest phone around? Samsung proper future proofed it :p

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

4. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

I can tell you from first hand experience that it doesn't struggle to run any games. The CPU of the Galaxy Nexus is actually comparable to the Exynos in the GS2. Where the GS2 has the advantage is it has a more powerful GPU in the MALI. The thing is, there isn't anything out (nor that will be coming out any time soon) that will push either one of the GPU's in a way that will matter. To your point, you can argue the Galaxy S2 might be the fastest when it's upgraded to ICS, though by that time the Galaxy Nexus will be soon moving to Jellybean. All in all they're both very capable devices, but when you look at them side to side, the Galaxy S2's screen doesn't hold a candle to the Nexus, and in my book screen has a lot to do with how I feel about a device because that's what I'm going to look at and use each time I use the phone. Things like GPU's don't really matter to me as long as I have a capable one because really I'm not going to be putting my phone under extreme stress, and if I do it won't be very frequently.

----------

IMO the Nitro isn't even in the conversation. It's made by LG. Until LG proves they can make a competent high end product they won't even be a consideration in my book. Yeah the screen will be gorgeous (720p IPS display) but will it have a lot of backlight bleed (G2X)? Will it be a buggy mess like LG's high end releases of this year? Will LG cut corners again on software (like when they released gingerbread with a froyo kernel)? Then on a superficial level, the phone is ugly as sin lol. The back of the phone looks like someone put a black church sock over it lol. Friends don't let friends use LG phones :p

5. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

I agree with this list for the most part, though I would have put the 4s above the Rezound and maybe above the Galaxy S2. I am a bit surprise to see you have the Razr ranked so highly. I haven't had a chance to check that phone out in person yet so I don't know what to make of it. Good list seemed pretty fair and balanced to me.

6. matttye macrumors 601

Is the screen really that much better? I'll have to go and play with one. The galaxy s2's is gorgeous so the nexus must be phenomenal!

7. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

What makes it better is the resolution. They both have very vibrant colors and deep blacks (excellent contrast on both). The difference is how much more can be displayed on the screen of the nexus vs that of the gs2. It looks a bit funny when you have them side by side and you're on a web page and you see so much more on the nexus than on the gs2. Same thing is true when you're in a menu, the gs2 just shows so much less than the nexus. Then add to that the fact that everything is so big on the screen of the gs2 due to the low resolution. When you have them side by side it almost makes the gs2's screen look a little silly to see things show up so much larger than the screen sitting right next to it. Before I had the opportunity to put them side by side, I felt the gs2's screen was very good. While I still do think it's a pretty screen to look at, it is clearly outclassed by the Nexus.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

To touch on what mysterioustko is saying, the screen really does make a massive difference on the Galaxy Nexus compared to the Galaxy S II.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/DSCF3770.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/DSCF3771.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/DSCF3772.JPG

Despite the fact the GN has a PenTile display, I don't notice it at all.

9. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I can't speak for the 4s as I've not had the pleasure of using one yet (my wife only has an iPhone 4 at the moment) but the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus are very competitive with each other.

The SGSII does have the edge when it comes to camera and GPU (as will the iPhone 4s).

Although the GPU is weaker than the Mali400 in the SGSII, my Galaxy Nexus hasn't had any performance issues with any games so far.

11. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree with this. In addition to that I'd throw in there that the browsing experience is unparalleled, especially with the use of the quick controls feature.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ehh, I'd have your T5 more like this:

1) Nexus
    2) 4S
    3) SG2
    4) Razr
    5) Rezound

13. 305rob305 macrumors member

1. Nexus
    2. GS2
    3. Rezound
    4. iphone 4S
    5. Razr

14. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

Wow. Based on the responses I'm seeing on here, I've really underestimated the Razr. I had no idea it was actually a contender.

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Waiting for Moto to update the firmware and bloatware would make me worry about the RAZR tbh.

16. asleep, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Hump/bulge on the RAZR is a non-starter for me.

17. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I own a RAZR and love the phone. It is really a nice well built design that has to be handled to be appreciated. I don't have any issue with the little hump at the top. If you start to look closer at it you will see the hump is really the only place they had enough room for a 3.5mm audio jack, micro USB, HDMI and cameras. The rest of the phone is very thin. So unless you change port designs and can come up with thinner camera sensors any phone that tries to get as thin as the RAZR is going to have to be wider in one area or another. The hump really isn't that big in person and actually makes it easier to hold the phone in my opinion.

18. nraudigy2, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

nraudigy2 macrumors member