Top conservatives gather to plot third-party run against Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 16, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

So I guess my thread has some relevance after all. I think an overhaul of how you elect a president would help solve this issue once and for all. Keep everything the same, just elect the president via popular vote and the problem would be solved.

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

May the Democratic and Republican parties both burn in cleansing fire.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

We're a country for 300+ million people. How do you decide who gets to be on the ballot?

There has to be some process, one not really described in the Constitution, that reduces the number of Candidates for national office to a manageable number. So far we've settled on the Party System. Its not perfect, but it does mean there is a political apparatus in most states and municipalities.

What Donald Trump has done is upset the system. Because he's not really a Republican. He's never held elective office in his life. And he's managed to convince a
    plurality of the relatively small subset of Republican or Republican-leaning voters that attend caucuses or vote in primary elections to back him.

Trump won Florida with about a million votes. In 2012 both Obama and Romney got over 4 times as many votes in the General Election. Hillary Clinton also won her Florida primary yesterday with almost exactly as many votes as Trump got.

The thing that the Republican establishment is worried about is this: Trump won't greatly expand on that million he got in the General Election. He might get two or three million. But if Hillary Clinton and the Democrats can get five million votes in Florida - then the national Republican Party, all the Senate and Congressional races - will be in for some very serious trouble.

If Donald Trump loses the Election in the fall, he'll go back to being a very wealthy real estate operator and reality tv personality. But he may very well have destroyed the Republican Party as a national governing body for years, if not permanently.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Looks to me like the problem for Republicans in general is that the RNC types are not really conservatives in the classic sense or meaning of the term. NeoCon warhawks, in large part in bed with the Banksters and the War Toy Boyz. They either don't realize or don't care that Joe Sixpack is fed up with business as usual among the Beltway Bandits.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Meanwhile Hillary in the general will probably try and swing to appeal to conservatives to try an capitalize off the anti-Trump center-righties (assuming she beats Bernie). If Trump is bad, a more moderate Hillary might be a more appealing option.

Or the Republicans will embrace Trump to save their skins while the liberal media will perpetuates this "REPUBLICAN PARTY IS IMPLODING" narrative. A lot of republicans might not like Trump now but would rather see him than Hillary/Bernie.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

The Republicans could not produce a viable candidate the first time this season... I'm not so sure they could do it a second time this season.

7. Robisan macrumors 6502

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

They can officially name it the Crybaby Party.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't know there are few people in the world the Republicans like less than Ms. Clinton.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't know, the world isn't as black and white as there are democrats and republicans and they only vote for their chosen party. I feel like many-most people I know have voted for both parties in their lifetime.

I sense however the media is over-representing the republican concern of Trump destroying the Republican Party. If he demonstrates he can beat Hillary, I have no doubt the 99% of republicans will be flocking to his side in support. Afterall, politicians are self serving.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Minorities won't vote for him, anyone who cares about other countries won't vote for him.

12. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I agree that the people in the GOP plotting against Trump are nuts. He is going to win the nomination and they are just giving that dreadful Clinton women ammunition.
    However they are also being exaggerated by the press. I am watching alot of interviews and coverage and it seems that the majority of what is being called the GOP "establishment" is actually lining up behind trump now.
    I think the left wing press is desperate to stop Trump, like they were Regan, with insults, lies, simultaneously calling him stupid and evil clever - work that one out, trying to stir up trouble in the GOP, sending left wing nazi thugs to disrupt Trump rallies.
    The good news is that the great American public has risen above this and Trump is going to be the next president.
    Not only that he is going to be one of the best US presidents.
    Everyone will be eating their hat.
    It takes courage to continue against all this sh@t. The next US president needs a lot of courage to cap immigration, turn round the deficit and defeat Iran, Al nursa, Daish. Only Trump can do that.
    He is the right person at the right time in history.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Defeat Iran, Al nursa, and Daish? You mean like we defeated Iraq in the Taliban? How many young men have to come back and body bags for people realize that trying to solve Middle Eastern problems with military invasions is not only futile, but makes things worse? I mean ****, Iran and Daish are bitter enemies! By trying to knock one out you would be helping the other.

14. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

You are in a massive inventive streak in terms of what I said and I think not clear/confused about history.

Firstly we defeated the Taliban nicely, but didn't follow through. I don't think many people disagree with the afghan war

Secondly Iraq is a completely different issue. There is an argument that we shouldn't have gone in in the first place, which I don't want to get into. Note that Trump also didn't agree with the invasion.
    Nevertheless the US military did a great job and defeated Sadam in about a month and took over a geographical massive country. The administration of the country was badly done, and that was as much the fault of the Europeans as the US. Personally I don't think we should have gone into Iraq, but that's another conversation.

If you think putting boots on the group is the only way to win a war, you need to start reading books asap. Certainly the Obama way, of deserting and pi$$ing off allies and emboldening enemies has proved to be a disaster and arguably paved the way for the power vacuum and state funding which has produced Daish.

It not worth discussing the real issues here as most people have zero idea of what is going on in the ME. I am involved closely, which is why is a topic of of interest for me. And I do my research.

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Win a war? What war?! Iran has not declared war on us. The "war on terror"? That's as much of a "war" as the ******** "war on drugs". You cannot wage war on broad concepts.

And if you think Iran would be a pushover like Iraq then you don't know your middle eastern countries very well.

16. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

You are living in fantasy world if you think that anyone declares war anymore

It amazing what people say when they just read a bit of their press

Nuff said !!

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Why would we fight with Iran? It's one of the more stable places in the region. Don't like its crazy leadership? Too bad. The Saudis aren't any better, and somehow we manage to maintain diplomatic relations with them.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You are the one living the fantasy if you think destabilizing yet another Middle Eastern country will accomplish anything other than wholesale death.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You need to hold the ground you take and that requires boot's.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Perhaps if you read more of the so-called left wing press (it's not about left and right, it's a corporate media only concerned with ratings and eyeballs) you wouldn't post such unsubstantiated ********. I will give you this, you sure have the talking points down.

Oh, your hero's name is Reagan.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As far as what he goes back to being, I think he'll become another Sarah Palin -- someone whom a small cult will see as a powerful political voice, but to the rest of us will be a combination of a bullet we dodged and a recurring topic for late night comedy shows.

He also reminds me of Palin in another way. His verbiage isn't as mangled, but when I hear them talk I realize they're at the same eloquence level as my three year old grandson.

22. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

Bless
    You are badly informed
    But thats pretty common these days
    Media is certainly not corporate, many organisations, eg the guardian in the uk, are run at a loss to get a far left message out

And yes, apart from a few obvious exceptions, the media in the west is extreme left wing. It's a whole cycle from journalistic university education to their unions

23. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I like the way people just write random comments to back their ideology

We are talking about stabilisation and I think this conversation has no meaning since obviously you are not qualified to discuss this beyond catch phrases learnt by the popular press

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Get a grip,the Guardian "far left wing" it may have been vaguely leftish when it was the Manchester Guardian but has been sliding rightwards for decades.