Top Democrat: Obamacare Was a Mistake

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 25, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Basically, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) is griping because Obamacare didn't help the Democrats electorally.

He's going to catch some flak for this. Watch for the retraction in the next couple days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...shouldnt-have-bothered-to-reform-health-care/

2. TimelessOne macrumors regular

And yet another example of why I think the world is a better place every time when a politician dies.

They care more about their own power than what is better for the people.

3. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

The more people understand this the better off we will be.

4. citizenzen Suspended

Obamacare is meant to help people get health insurance.

If Schumer's measure of success is how many votes it garners, then he's lost sight of what is important in legislating.

It's about the people.

Not your votes.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He knows what's important. Getting wall street lobbyists to give him money.

6. citizenzen Suspended

We need to change the system to once again bring the focus back to the people. But we don't have the wherewithal to achieve it. I'd love to see proportional representation and publicly financed elections, to start. But seriously, what are the chances?

7. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Can I come, too! :eek:

8. Southern Dad, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The problem is that the ACA hasn't been successful at getting those people insurance.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Typical ass hole politician caring more about his party and votes than doing the people's work. Embarrassed that he's my Senator.

11. Southern Dad, Nov 26, 2014

Southern Dad

Let's do some simple math… The President said just under 7 million people signed up. How many people did he claim were uninsured just a couple years ago when we were having to pass this? This doesn't take a PhD to figure out that there's a bunch of folks still uninsured.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually looks like 27 million have signed up: http://obamacaresignups.net.

13. Southern Dad, Nov 26, 2014

Southern Dad

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

QFT. This is the reason I will never vote.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I've never understood this kind of thinking. The only sure way to convince a politician that your views are meaningless is to fail to vote. And if you do not like the people running the government, run for office yourself.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The ACA is about much more than simply getting the uninsured coverage.

For one thing, it addressed many of the failures of the private insurance market. You can no longer be denied coverage for "pre-existing conditions" - which used to bankrupt thousands of Americans every year. It also means than millions of Americans have the freedom to change jobs, since they aren't tied only to those that offer coverage.

The ACA has been tremendously beneficial to the millions of Americans who are self-employed: the army of consultants, contractors, and small businesspeople who need to buy insurance on their own. As Uber CEO Travis Kalanick put it:

Emphasis mine. And thats the point. The reality is that jobs working for big companies are going to be the exception, rather than the rule going forward. And so if we aren't going to have Single Payer Universal Healthcare, then we simply have to have something like the ACA in order to succeed as an economy.

It also has already begun to change the ruinous increases in medical costs that threatened to beggar the US economy. According to this Bloomberg story to this Bloomberg story, medical spending in 2019 in the US will be $500 billion less thanks to the ACA. That is serious money.

So: Millions more have coverage. Those that had it already have better coverage that can't be denied or taken away. The US economy saving $500 billion a year. And it is reducing the deficit too.

Its not perfect: but its working.

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

As far as I'm concerned, abstaining is still a 'vote' as such. If I was in power, it'd speak louder to me than the people who did actually vote for someone.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is that those in power can't tell the difference between disaffected and people who are content with the status quo and can't be bothered.

If you hate all the options go to the polling station and spoil your ballot.

20. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Term limits would be a good first step. Unfortunately, the Congress would have to pass it or it would require a Constitutional amendment.

Ending gerrymandering would be a good second step.

We'll never get the money out of politics so that's not even worth worrying about.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You live in a Representative Democracy. . What's your alternative? Get more involved in the process, maybe vote? ;)

22. TimelessOne macrumors regular

I do vote. Sadly it has been a long time since I felt like I was voting for the best candidate. It really comes down to voting for the smaller of 2 huge piles of crap. No matter who wins it is still a huge pile of crap.
    Mix this with in most of the country the general election is a dog and pony show and meaningless. The real election is primaries. Where I live this puts my vote in the worthless category. The winner is who ever wins the gop primary. Since I can not nor will I vote in the gop primary my vote falls in the worthless category. They know the general is lock and a dog and pony show.

23. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Amen to that. Voting is almost tiresome, nowadays.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

Medical care in the US is overpriced.
    I dislike obamacare because it camoflages the artificially high prices by having the government jump in and pay the extra without individuals directly noticing it. It does not solve the underlying problem, but instead distributes the cost over many people, so it is less appearant that medical treatment in the US is grotesquely overpriced.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, I can't disagree with you. For myself, it feels like we were climbing through the 60s (a lot of "we"), and then the "liberal" backlash, and now we are sliding on the long slow "me" descent, giving away our liberties for security, possibly a State religion, endorsed religious discrimination, and instead of helping the people rise, holding them down, "You want me to pay for your education and health care? And what's this about minupimum wage? Be thankful you have a job working for Mr, Scrooge!" ;)