Top Dems "Obamacare Is Headed For 'Huge Train Wreck'"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Apr 17, 2013.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

About time they started waking up and realizing what a huge ass mistake Obama care is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/max-baucus-obamacare_n_3101801.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

A few interesting points from the article...
    It seems to me like things would work better if Republicans weren't trying their hardest to make the law fail. Although perhaps we will get lucky and after a few bad years we will be able to replace obamacare with a single payer system.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Max Baucus? :rolleyes: One of the Dems who seemed to be trying his best to get the bill sunk?

Sorry, that man has no cred.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Republicans don't want health care. We see that in states like Texas and so many people without medical care and it is just getting worse.

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Wow, one Democrat and that one Democrat being Baucus. :rolleyes: As Thomas Veil pointed out, Baucus is irrelevant in this.

I find it rather amusing when a single Democrat spouts something nonsensical, CONservatives come out of the woodwork and make a stink about it. When a Republican says something nonsensical, which is just about every minute of every day, CONservatives praise the Republican. What's even better is when a Republican says something that's a little closer to reality, CONservatives ostracize him or her and treat them as they would a Democrat that says nonsensical things. And when Democrats give Republicans everything they want, as Obama has done countless times, CONservatives are still not happy and still try to find something to be angry about. There's no pleasing these people is there?

6. SLC Flyfishing, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Heaven forbid lawmakers make an attempt to hinder huge increases in new spending during these financial times, it's not like the government has a debt problem or anything.

Hope I didn't offend with the use of "heaven", I know it has a religious connotation.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's because health care is a government intrusion into their bodies, infringing upon their constitutional rights. 'Merica. :rolleyes:

As for Obamacare, hopefully if it fails we will get universal healthcare like we should have in the first damn place.

8. iMikeT macrumors 68020

But but but Republican lawmakers, who are the very people against healthcare for all Americans, have no problem receiving healthcare that is paid for by us taxpayers. Now when we want national healthcare for ourselves, then they're very much against it. 'Merica indeed.

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Sorta like Obama who is constantly protected by assault weapons, but would like to deny us the right to the same protection for ourselves?

10. iMikeT, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

iMikeT macrumors 68020

Let's see..... A guy who is elected the figure head of a country and is a target for bad guys with a gun gets a lot of protection whereas we the people who are not as easily targeted should get the same protection as the guy who is a target? Did I get that right? Furthermore, who exactly are we supposed to be protecting ourselves from?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Would you like 24/7 Secret Service protection too? How 'bout that big plane? That'd be cool.

12. zin macrumors 6502

Can an American please explain why Obamacare is a train wreck that is bad for the country?

This appears to be the Clinton Healthcare Plan all over again. Attacked, demonised, and over exaggerated by both Republicans, big business, and health insurance companies.

----------

I don't think this argument has any backbone. First of all, Obama is the President of the United States. Just by the symbolic act of being elected to the office he has made enemies. His policies I'm sure have also attracted unwanted and dangerous attention, making some new enemies along the way, too.

Attempts to harm or kill the President are thwarted every single month by intelligence agencies. He is a constant target. Who is constantly targeting you and trying to kill you (please don't say the government :rolleyes:)?

In addition, I'm sorry to say it but in the hypothetical situation that the President is killed then the economy will plunge into a state of uncertainness and instability (as if it wasn't already). I'm not saying his life is more important than yours, I'm saying that the effects of his death would be more dangerous and signficant to the country than yours would be.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So you don't think you're a target for bad guys with guns? Ever been the victim of a home invasion robbery? I have.

I'd say you are more easily targeted because you don't have a security entourage with you 24-7.

I didn't say the same protection, at least I'm not implying we should all have access to secret service protection. But if Obama wants to restrict the access of the citizenry to different types of firearms, don't you think he should lead the way and offer himself a similar level of protection? At the very least restrict his guards to weapons that he's not attempting to ban for the rest of us?

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Actually, I've been shot at. So yes, I know first-hand what it's like to be a victim of gun violence.

Even if I had a gun at the time, I don't think the outcome would have been any better in my case.

Paranoid a little?

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not the same as having a gun for home defense, which is what I was talking about. But still, you say you don't think the outcome would have been different, but you don't really know either I take it?

No, I'm just saying that it's probably be easier for you to become the victim of a home invasion or mall shooting than it is for the president.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ps the movie sucked

I want that anti-aircraft missile launcher I saw in Olympus has fallen for my house! ;)

17. iMikeT macrumors 68020

For all I know, I would have been shot dead had I tried to fumble around for my piece instead of heading for cover. No need to twist this in any other direction other than I was shot at and I managed to walk away alive.

Anyone is potentially a target for anything, some more than others. If you want to keep thinking that you're going to get attacked when you walk out your front door, you may want to see a medical professional about that issue.

With that, let's get this thread back on topic.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Leave it to the MacRumors PRSI crowd to unable to see the forest through the trees.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have to be honest, I never really understood that phrase.

20. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Nothing like it at all. What does this have to do with healthcare in America?
    I dont think having an assault rifle will save you from a heart attack of stroke will it? Because you have a better chance of having those then getting shot.

21. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

22. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Well, the phrase is "Can't see the forest for the trees". Pretty simple meaning... concentrating on the individual components so much as to be unable to see the whole picture.

You're welcome. :)

----------

Politics, Religion, Social Issues

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's the forum you Are in. Politics religion social issues.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to the article the huge ass mistake was believing that Republicans could act at all in good faith.

Washington is non-functional because of the Republican Party.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah I get the meaning but I never really got how it means that. Can't see the Forrest FOR the trees? Huh? I don't know. I guess it's the opposite of someone who is just looking at the big picture so much, they miss the small things. Like the jokes....

Thank u.