Top of the line 13" Air or Higher-specced 13" Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dominicdiep, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dominicdiep macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to this forum so I need to help for buying my first Mac :). I am generally torn between these two new models that Apple just realised today. They are both the exact same price (with the student discount I will be using), and I need you guys to help me understand my needs as I'm new to Macs and have always used Windows.

I will be changing my computer from a 3gb RAM Core 2 Duo beast of a machine to one of these models. Here's my dilemma.

I've heard that 4gb RAM seems to not be enough on the MacBook Air, as I've heard that's the thing most people wanted to have. Using a machine with 3gb RAM, I've not really had that much of an issue with memory. But upgrading the MacBook Air to 8GB would make it more expensive than the 13" Pro, which has 8gigs as standard. Would 8gb of RAM make a substantial difference to the Air's performance, for a user that mostly uses his computer for surfing, media-consumption and spreadsheets? I'm no media student, so I doubt I'd be using any fancy photoshop/video editing software.

My next issue is the screen resolution. For some odd reason the Air still has a higher resolution that the Pro. For anybody who knows, does this make a big difference? Which would you say has a better quality screen?

My next issue is the size/weight. I've seen Airs and Pros before so I do know what they look like in real life. However, when I look at the pictures of both of them on the website, the Pro seems to look so much chunkier/uglier than its Air counterpart. Obviously it is heavier too. But considering its only 13", it still should be mighty portable, even if it's not as portable as the Air? What's it like carrying around for normal use? But then again, I'm coming from a 3.5kg 16" beast, so both would be a great improvement for both these criteria.

Then there is the processor vs. SSD dilemma. The SSD improvements on the Air are obviously beneficial over the Pro, but then there is the option of buying an SSD hard drive for the Pro (and the prices are coming down crazy fast). This would mean that over the long term, the Pro would be more long-lasting and better value, since you can improve the specs, and at a cheaper price. And the Pro has a faster processor compared to the Air with a higher clock speed. But again, I'm an everyday daily computer user, so I'm not planning on doing anything too vigorous on this machine.

What do you guys think? :rolleyes: It's so hard to decide!

13" Air + 8gig RAM or

13" Pro which is CHEAPER

2. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Considering Apple has gimped the MBP 13" with a 1280x800 resolution AGAIN, it's pretty much a no-brainer for me: MBA 13" > MBP 13"

3. Clfloat macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation as you. In the end I think I'm going to go with a 128 GB SSD 13" Air with the 8 GB RAM upgrade. $1,299, and spare to buy an external USB3 hard drive.

4. dominicdiep thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've just decided on the Air now. The sexy body with higher resolution screen does it for me. Also decided to settle on the 128gig model - I can just buy a cheap external hard drive, so it's not much of a big deal. Gone with 8 gigs just in case.

This is gonna be AMAZING!!! :D:D

5. rocoloco macrumors member

I have 2011 mba and I love this thing. Because of the size, weight and nice display, life is so much more comfortable :) I also used it just for web surfing and 4 gb of ram are more than enough 4 me.

6. Bill P., Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

Upgrading the Air to 8mb of RAM is only $100.

I placed my order for the 13" Air earlier today after the store reopened (my local store won't get any stock of new stuff until tomorrow). I opted for the 128gb model with 8gb of ram (surprisingly only $100!).

7. dominicdiep thread starter macrumors member

Grr, so annoying. Trying to order it but by debit card keeps failing. Don't know whether it's Apple's fault or Natwest's because I clearly have the sufficient funds