Top of the line 13in MBA(current) vs waiting for new 13in MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guitargoddsjm, May 21, 2012.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

My younger brother is going to college next year for pre-med. He's not really tech savvy and he's not planning on doing a lot of gaming on his laptop, so I suggested he get a 13 inch MBA. (Another factor for my recommendation was that I carry my 15 inch MBP with me everywhere at school and the extra weight is hell.)

His school's bookstore had a single, current gen, brand new, absolute top end 13 inch MBA on closeout (256gb, 1.8ghz i7). It was bundled with Applecare and VGA/DVI adapters for ~$1500 + tax. In my opinion, a killer deal. So we picked it up earlier today.

I think it's a great computer for the money, but I would feel completely guilty if new Macbook Airs came out in a month. I'm also unsure about how the updated 13 inch Macbook Pros will stack up against this computer (retina display? how much size/weight will they shave off?).

My brother is perfectly happy and is totally psyched that he has his own computer, and he wanted an Air over a Pro because of the weight savings. But if the updated 13 inch Pro is almost as thin and almost as light as this Air with a retina display, more power. and a lighter price tag, I wouldn't want him to be bummed about it. Although I find it hard to believe that they'd upgrade the 13 inch MBP that much because it would completely cannibalize the Air.

He hasn't opened it yet (opening = 15% restocking fee) and has two weeks to return it, so not enough time to wait until WWDC.

Any opinions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The machine you bought will run fine even if new models are introduced. IMO you've already wasted enough time haranguing about this - just open it and use it.

3. Peppery macrumors newbie

Peppery

That's a good price for a great machine. The refresh will probably be insignificant if you already own a 2011 model Air.