Top reasons you bought the 2012 rMBP over the 2012 MPB? Regrets?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by photosaurus, Jun 24, 2012.

1. photosaurus, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

photosaurus macrumors regular

1. Retina Display
    - More accurate editing and viewing of photos on the go without having to inspect only 1440 X 900 or 1680 X 1050 pixels at a time at 100%. I use aperture and photoshop, so support is not an issue (pending the upcoming ps update). Outside of those two apps, retina support is a bonus, but doesn't really factor into my decision.
    - When doing software development on the go, switching to an extended work space resolution will be wonderful.

2. Smaller form factor/weight. It's no macbook air, but it's an improvement. I'm a big strong dude, so I imagine for me it'll feel about how a macbook air feels to my wife. And she loves her air's portability. I hefted the retina in the store, and I'm pretty sure it's going to pass my toilet test.... sitting on the toilet, one hand holding it, one hand using it. (Holding the rMBP) :D

3. Dual thunderbolt ports and HDMI out is kind of nice to have. I'm sure I'll put them to use eventually.

Regrets:
    1. Hard Drive Space
    - I'm going to have to break down and buy a good external RAID setup, as apposed to my single external backup drive. I'm going to have to archive and organize my stuff more often. I rationalize this regret by saying to myself that I need to get better at my organizational skills anyway, and this will force me. I was on the verge of needing that external raid anyway, and have been taking far too many chances with unbacked up data.
    - I have a windows desktop for gaming, but I'm going to be sorely tempted to try games out on this Retina display.. which makes me sorely tempted to install bootcamp/windows.. which makes me worry even more about the precious little hd space I have!

2. Afraid that new hardware technology that hasn't been time tested may have unforeseen issues over time. I'm a gambling man, hence the poor backup behavior in regret #1.

2. leenak macrumors 68020

I have no regrets, I planned to buy a MBP as soon as the newer ones came out, wasn't expecting to have a choice.

1) Form factor - I like the new design
    2) SSD drive (cheaper than regular MBP if you go with SSD)
    3) Fan design (seems pretty spiffy to me)

pretty much my primary reasons.

Reasons I've been waiting:
    1) Ivy Bridge
    2) Was hoping for a lighter design

3. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

Same here.

Yep. I spec'd out an equivalent non-retina, and was surprised to see a higher price. So really, my hd space regret is not a valid retina specific regret, as I'd have made the same trade off had I went with non-retina.. even though I'd have had a choice in that trade off with the non-retina. Speed over space. Once you go SSD, it's hard to go back. :(

Yep. Retina was a huge unexpected bonus. I never believed the Retina rumors prior to the launch.

4. CFoss macrumors 6502

In time, I think external storage won't be an issue. It's possible to purchase a 1TB USB3 External Drive to store your media (eg, music, films etc). Give it a year or two, and Thunderbolt drives will become more affordable too. Plus, with SSDs coming down in price, you could probably see a close to equal performing MacBook SSD in an external Thunderbolt SSD.

In other words, if you can deal with the limited MacBook Pro storage right now, and don't mind carrying external storage in a few years time, it won't be an issue.

5. Rmafive macrumors 6502

1. I have been waiting over a year for a redesign!
    2. Dual thunderbolt ports, more options for people without a thunderbolt display.
    3. Display!
    4. SSD!
    5. Weight and size (college student)

Regrets
    1. My external display looks like crap right now (compared to the rMBP) and I am hoping that Apple comes out with an updated cinema display. Until then, I will be stuck with my low res 24 inch cinema display.

I just got a G-Raid Thunderbolt from G-technology and love it. It is quite pricy, but definitely worth it!

6. frozi macrumors member

I am getting the mbpR so I can have 16 gb of ram

7. Lvivske macrumors regular

Is this a serious thread? How could anyone in their right mind buy a 2012 MBP over the Retina model at this point?

8. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

Technically, while you can't spec it in the store with 16, I believe you can immediately upgrade to 16 on the non-retina once you have it in hand. But you can't add Retina and you can't trim its weight.

You can't be in your right mind if you think everyone's in their right mind. LOL

9. mobiousblack macrumors member

10. d00d macrumors regular

let's not get hyperbolic in either direction. The non-retina has a lot going for it if you don't need/want a retina display: upgradeability (can choose to upgrade to SSD at a later date or have two drives, or upgrade RAM later), no growing pains issues (scrolling on web pages), the option together a matte display, a built in Ethernet port, optical built in (if you want/need it). Both have their advantages.

11. frozi macrumors member

12. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

You can: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4045250?start=0&tstart=0

And I suspect Apple's reasoning's have to do with making the Retina look more appealing than the non-retina. They would prefer everyone go Retina.

13. golu14 macrumors regular

I brought it over the Air, the old thick aluminium slab was never even a consideration :p
    Better speakers, large high res screen, graphics, and most importantly better resale value
    Extended my budget from 1000$ to 1500$ and eventually 2207$ lol

14. jcpb macrumors 6502a

My time is too precious to constantly worry about something, let alone regret.

1. Complete system upgrade and timing it with Apple's IB refresh.
    2. Going portable. I don't want a gaming-focused DTR, at the same time I need something faster than a MBA while still being light enough to lug around.
    3. I need 1920 x 1200 minimum, but Apple axed the 17".

15. frozi macrumors member

maybe I enjoy throwing my money away. But I am just scared lol.

I mean, every post I have read about whether the macbook pro (this was for the 2011) can support 16gb of ram. The answer I always read was "im pretty sure it can support it" And then the companies that sell the ram obviosuly come out and say "oh of course it could support it". But then all Apple employees say, no it cant support it.

I dont get why back in 2011, they wouldnt sell additional ram for it if, it could support it.

Maybe like someone said, it just wasnt tested so they say "no it cant".

16. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

It supports it. This is my early 2011 MBP and you can see 16GB is running fine. In fact, it's running at the RAM's rated speed of 1600MHz which it wasn't supposed to do either (the max speed that the Sandy Bridge MBPs officially supported was 1333MHz).

[​IMG]

17. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Some of us don't need a giant iPad.
    No Ethernet port.
    No Kensington lock.
    No antiglare screen.
    No optical drive.
    Upgradability limited.
    Early case and screen issues.

18. magbarn macrumors 68000

Lol rMBP pwnage.

19. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

All valid reasons to go non-retina for some. I considered them all.

For me:
    - Using an Ethernet dongle when needed doesn't bug me.
    - I've never had the need to lock my laptops
    - I prefer glossy to antiglare for pixel peeping
    - I never needed optical away from home, and at home, I've got external
    - Historically, I end up doing a full replacement over upgrades on laptops anyway, as the deficits seem to all come at once.
    - Early case and screen issues? IPS temp burn in? Haven't scared me yet, but as I originally said, new tech is always a Risky buy. I'm playing the odds on the reward potential.

20. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't understand the adversarialness of those who chose a regular MBP against rMBP owners. You can call it a giant iPad if you want, doesn't bother me.

There are reasons that people would go with the regular MBP, I think the antiglare and the optical drive (for heavier users) would be the biggest reasons. The other reasons are really not much of an issue.

21. jcpb macrumors 6502a

No ODD? Good. It's a total waste of space 99% of the time.

No Kensington lock? Good. Forces you to properly protect your laptop from being stolen in the first place.

Upgradeability limited, like that ever stopped people from buying MBAs, iPhones, iPads and iPods.

No antiglare screen? Only the 15" (and previously the 17") classic MBP has this option, you mad yet?

Early case and screen issues? Goes for every portable Mac, iPad and iPhone refresh.

This "Giant iPad" is still significantly smaller than many 15" laptops on the market.

No Ethernet? There's a $30 adapter, quit whining.

Out of all seven points above, only the Ethernet complaint is valid. Then again, if you're in the business world, you'll end up carrying a miniDP-to-VGA adapter because that is what most projectors use. MBPs don't have a native VGA port. OH NOZ BIG NEGATIVE!

22. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I'm planning to become a mac convert, but also I was looking for a portable to replace my existing desktop. I therefore don't want a lower spec than my existing computer, so has to be >512Gb SSD, 16Gb RAM, i7. I can't remember the last time I used an optical drive outside of initial setup of a computer. A superdrive will be fine for that. Resolution needs to be able to output 2560x1600 on desktop, and be over 1600 wide on the notebook otherwise I'd go mad. I couldn't find a Windows laptop with good battery life and small form factor that fitted those specs.

At the moment I run 512Gb SSD plus 1Gb additional hard disk, and everything else is on external storage or other computers. There's plenty of room on both. I figured life would be technically possible but a bit of a pain on 512, but 768 will be fine.

The rMBP turned up and ticks every box. Retina screen is a handy plus and tipped me over the edge into the Mac camp at last. Resolution is everything when it comes to computers. As soon as I saw confirmation that you can run native 2880 on it, I ordered. (2.6/16/768).

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no regrets, if the MBP didn't come with a SSD drive, I would have put one in there.

For me, I'm happy with everything the retina MBP has to offer and I don't any second thoughts on what they should have done, i.e., ethernet port or Kensington lock. In fact I think the Kensington lock. is all but useless, if a thief is going to take it, a quick tug will pull the lock out of the MBP and bend the unit

24. No-Me macrumors 6502a

No regrets at all.

Top reasons:
    1: Form factor, this new design rocks, feels a lot less bulky than the old model.
    2: New fan design, barely heard the fans kick in, and if they kick in they are silent :)

25. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

- It has an ethernet port. You just need an extra cable.
    - New display reduces glare due to the omission of the glass panel
    - You can use an external optical drive
    - If you get 16gb RAM now, you are basically set for a lifetime already.
    - Haven't heard of any issues so far