Top Sites in Safari: How can I keep my top sites while I use private browsing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mrs HBF, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mrs HBF macrumors regular

I like to use private browsing. Why is it after I set up my top sites and then use private browsing, if I open another window (command, n), I'll lose my top sites.

Before I leave top sites, I make sure that I'm done editing and that the thumb tack is blue and not black which I'm told saves the sites. So what's going on?

I'm actually at the Apple Store and the trainer at my personal projects sessions just doesn't know why this doesn't work. Anyone know how I can keep my top sites while I use private browsing?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That's the point of private mode, it tries not to leave a trace on your computer. When you close Safar it will clear history, cookies etc.

3. Mrs HBF thread starter macrumors regular

If it didn't save any of my websites, I'd agree with that. Yet it saves just one of them and erases the rest of them thus the trainer thinks it is a bug. The trainer here said it works and then demonstrated it on another MBP. So thinks I have a bug and I scheduled an appt at the genius bar on Monday. But from what I've seen in one-to-ones and personal projects, some trainers know more than others.

To add to that, a new personal projects trainer just came and he said that he doesn't like top sites because it's not 100% reliable. So he doesn't think I have a bug.