Top Ten Trump Concerns:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jan 18, 2017.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm assuming that millions of Americans are breathing a sigh of relief that the Obama era is coming to an end. He apparently only has a few more hours to seize all the guns; set up the FEMA camps; institute Shariah law; destroy Israel; and replace the Department of Defense with the New Black Panthers. It's possible in the years to come he'll reveal his true identity as a foreign-born Muslim terrorist. But by then the point would be sorta moot.

On the other hand, I - and no doubt many of my fellow Americans - have some concerns about the incoming Trump administration that seem grounded in somewhat more solid reality. As in Trump, his nominees to high office, or his Republican allies in the Congress - have specifically promised to do:

1. Destroy the ACA, and throw America's health care system into crisis. Congressional Republicans seem hell-bent on repealing Obamacare. Trump has promised to replace it with "something great", and make sure "everyone has insurance." If he follows through on that promise, I'll cheer him on. But whenever I think of Trump's promises, I'm reminded of the fact that there still isn't a Trump Tower in Moscow.
    2. Destroy the budget of the United States Federal Government. Trump's tax plans would result in an increase of the deficit by about $7 trillion in the coming decade. It would achieve this through a series of tax cuts that will end up benefiting the average middle-class taxpayer by about $20 per week. While giving the top 0.01% an extra couple of million per year. It's possible this tax cutting will boost growth a tad. But even for an economy as big as the US, an extra - and un-needed - $7 trillion of debt is going to cause problems. Problems that cripple the US financially for decades to come.
    3. Set Back Reproductive and Civil Rights - permanently - via the Supreme Court. Trump will nominate an avowedly Conservative Justice to replace the long-dead Antonin Scalia. Returning the balance on the Court to the composition it has had for most of the past decade. But if one or two of the older, more liberal, Justices retire or die during Trump's term - it seems not impossible that we could see Roe v. Wade overturned; most of our Civil Rights legislation abolished.
    4. Provoke a military and political crisis in Eastern Europe. If Trump - contrary to the advice of his Sec. Def. nominee - prematurely rescinds the sanctions on Russia over its annexation of Crimea and incursions into Ukraine, then there is a strong possibility that Vladimir Putin will feel emboldened to grab some additional territory in the region. Eastern Ukraine; one of the Baltic States, etc. The US would have a very unpleasant choice on its hands: Either challenge the Russians militarily or face a massive political humiliation.
    5. Provoke a military crisis with China. Should Trump break with long-standing policy and recognize Taiwan's independence, it is possible that China will respond by taking military action to seize Taiwan. Again: Giving the US options that are decidedly unpleasant.
    6. Provoke a ruinous trade war with the rest of the world. Placing tariffs on goods imported from Mexico is going to cause huge problems unanticipated by Trump. Inexpensive, high-quality Mexican auto parts are vital for the economic success of many companies that build and assemble cars in the US. Trade with the NAFTA block is over a trillion per year, and disrupting such a large segment of the ($17 trillion) US economy is going to cause chaos and a great deal of job loss and economic hardship.
    7. Provoke a crisis with Iran. Trump has vowed to tear up the Iran nuclear accord. While Trump is unlikely to get the cooperation of the other P5+1 nations, he could reimpose some US sanctions. Which will almost certainly cause a reaction from Iran. Of which restarting its nuclear weapons program seems at least a strong possibility. Leaving the US few palatable options. Bombing Iran anyone?
    8. Join with Russia in a bloody, and horrific, campaign in Syria. Our current strategy, letting Iraqis and Kurds do the actual infantry fighting - is a slow process. Quickly rooting out ISIL militarily would eventually come down to US (and presumably Russian) ground troops. Leaked video of ISIL savages torturing and murdering captured US troops is a horror I tremble to imagine.
    9. Roll back financial regulations that have helped prevent future economic collapses. Trump and the Republicans have vowed to repeal Dodd-Frank which, among other provisions, raised the capital requirements for large financial institutions. Without the requirement to back up risky loans with their own capital, banks may feel tempted to re-engage in many of the risky lending practices that led to the 2008 financial collapse.
    The LAST concern is one that Trump has not specifically promised to do. But it is something I think many of us are deeply concerned about: A long, drawn-out, and deeply humiliating scandal. The Trump administration seems almost hell-bent on this happening. Trump's business interests present a multitude of glaring conflicts of interest. His naming of numerous family members to advisory positions. His puzzling connections to Russia, and other countries. The frank incompetence of many of his nominees to high office. His ill-advised midnight Tweeting.

I sincerely hope that none of these scenarios come to pass. I do truly hope that Trump delivers on his promise to get us "great health insurance" that everyone can afford.

But if he doesn't, and instead leads this country into a social, economic, military, humanitarian, or political cataclysm - don't say you weren't warned.

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Why are you scared?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    I'm pretty sure you are on vrDrews ignore list. He doesn't handle frank critism well.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why are you not?

6. ibookg409, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017

ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Again you answer a question with a question. It's not helpful at all.

But, I will answer your question. Why am I not scared? Because there is nothing to be scared of.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    I'm also not scared because I am a capable individual who adapts to my surrounding, instead of bitching when something doesn't go my way and demanding a safe space when someone says something I don't like.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump could set us back 75 years as a country and that doesn't concern you? I am very worried about what President Trump will do his first day in office.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I probably am. He probably reads my posts anyway.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Not even considering the possibility of a nuclear confrontation, any bets on how much time he'll waste arguing and counter punching back at his multitude of imagined enemies?

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Sorry but this reads like a chicken little list.
    Definitely a glass half empty kind of view.
    However, is entitled to it.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump "could" set us back? You're letting your imagination run wild and it's based on ZERO real world data. What has Trump done to warrant such a "fear" in you. He grabs pu**y so that means the whole country is going to go back 75 years? Make a case for us going back to the 1940s simply because Trump is president.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not the rest aren't awful if they were to materialize - but #6 is a big worry of mine going forward.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I worry that he will continue to use his twitter account as his primary method of communication and that he will not censor himself at all on it. Time for him to put on his big boy pants and lead the country.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I remember when Republicans were screaming how Obama was going to destroy America, yet here we all are.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Yes, but the "Dear Diary" threads are good entertainment.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Trump says he's going to cut the government workforce by 20%. Government employees who spend hours composing long, wordy screeds during work hours will probably be the first to get the ax.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That would require a government overhaul. Sure it would be possible, if Congress makes it a priority, but they seem to have bigger priorities, like roasting Democrats and setting up bedroom surveillance. ;) My question is, did he make this appraisal out of a gut feeling (his appealing version of ass-speak) or based on some actual research? My guess is the former, throw a dart for the answer and strut around like you are a genius.

A more sensible approach would be a concerted effort to shrink government, where it makes sense to do so, to eliminate waste which is not just the number of employees, but how budgets and bidding are handled.

18. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

There are roughly the same number of Federal civilian government employees today as there were in 1965. A time when the US population was less than 200 million people. And of the roughly 2.5 million US Federal employees, more than 500,000 of them work for the Postal Service.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

freaking love that he does that, screw the MSM, ALL of it.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

How? I doubt that when you factor in TSA ... and the rest of the Homeland crew.

Want to cut by 20%? Flat tax.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

This isn't just about screwing the MSM - twitter is not the platform a President should be using like Trump does - nor should Trump post every vowel movement he has.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

things are as simple as not following him, hell I do that already :D

23. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The Democratic party is still running around with their diapers on. Its time they put their big boy pants on and let Trump do his job.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

That's a solution for me or an individual to no hear his message. That's not a viable solution in total.

Deflection. Trump is the President-elect - and the President beginning tomorrow. At what point do you and others think the free pass on being a cry baby on twitter will expire?

25. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Probably about the same length of time it took Obama to stop blaming Bush. I don't support either party, but I hate hypocrisy and god damn is it rampant.