Top Trump Aide Rob Porter Resigns After Domestic Violence Allegations

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I may not be up to speed on this topic. Porter did not have a proper classified clearance but was handling classified material in the White House?? If Porter was denied a clearance because of this wife beating issue, would he ever get beyond an interim clearance? And if they knew this, what’s he doing working there at all?

I found this:
Democrats request investigation into White House security clearance process
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/rob-porter-security-clearance-democrats-response-398823

Members of the Senate have sent several requests for information to the administration seeking clarification on the security clearance review process," the group said, adding that it had gotten no responses. "We are concerned over the apparent low and inconsistent threshold the Trump White House uses for obtaining an interim security clearance.”

The request follows the announcement by Rob Porter, the White House staff secretary, that he would resign after accusations of domestic violence by his two ex-wives became public this week. Chief of staff John Kelly reportedly knew that Porter had been denied a full security clearance, which the White House believed was because of a 2010 protective order that had been obtained by one of Porter's ex-wives.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I may not be up to speed on this topic. Porter did not have a proper classified clearance but was handling classified material in the White House??
Right, and his job apparently allowed him to handle everything that went on Trump's desk. Also, Kushner still has not received full security clearance.

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
So, top White House officials have known about this for over a year and they not only allowed Porter to stay on, they promoted him. In any prior administration, this would be a giant, embarrassing scandal with someone being forced to resign over their handling of it. But, our norms have been so decimated by Trump that this probably blows over in a day or two. Every time I think we've hit rock bottom with the corruption, incompetence and downright malice we take from this administration, they find a way to dig a little deeper.

Reactions: VulchR

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
I may not be up to speed on this topic. Porter did not have a proper classified clearance but was handling classified material in the White House?? If Porter was denied a clearance because of this wife beating issue, would he ever get beyond an interim clearance? And if they knew this, what’s he doing working there at all?

I found this:
Democrats request investigation into White House security clearance process
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/08/rob-porter-security-clearance-democrats-response-398823

Members of the Senate have sent several requests for information to the administration seeking clarification on the security clearance review process," the group said, adding that it had gotten no responses. "We are concerned over the apparent low and inconsistent threshold the Trump White House uses for obtaining an interim security clearance.”

The request follows the announcement by Rob Porter, the White House staff secretary, that he would resign after accusations of domestic violence by his two ex-wives became public this week. Chief of staff John Kelly reportedly knew that Porter had been denied a full security clearance, which the White House believed was because of a 2010 protective order that had been obtained by one of Porter's ex-wives.
That contradicts this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dozens-at-white-house-lack-permanent-security-clearances/ar-BBITtgP?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp

In that article the attorney argues that domestic violence isn't necessarily disqualifying. Clearances aren't about how good of a person you are beyond your susceptibility to being blackmailed.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That contradicts this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/dozens-at-white-house-lack-permanent-security-clearances/ar-BBITtgP?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp

In that article the attorney argues that domestic violence isn't necessarily disqualifying. Clearances aren't about how good of a person you are beyond your susceptibility to being blackmailed.
My question is, was he going to eventually receive a full security clearance? And did the interim clearance grant him full access? I ‘ve not heard of that before. When I was in the Navy, you either had clearance or you didn't, and if you didn’t, you had no access. Maybe the rule for the big wigs or Trump minions is different. :oops:

Reactions: JayMysterio

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
My question is, was he going to eventually receive a full security clearance? And did the interim clearance grant him full access? I ‘ve not heard of that before. When I was in the Navy, you either had clearance or you didn't, and if you didn’t, you had no access. Maybe the rule for the big wigs or Trump minions is different. :oops:
The rules are different now your command can grant you an interim clearance while you're being investigated. Clearances take so long to process that if they couldn't you might run out of cleared people and that's just for us normals, the people in Trumps circle are hardly normal.

When I got my clearance the first time in '00-'01 it took about 4 months, when I needed one again in '09 it took close to a year. I've had the same employer with a short break and had only moved when told, during that year of investigation I was on an interim clearance

Reactions: Rhonindk

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The rules are different now your command can grant you an interim clearance while you're being investigated. Clearances take so long to process that if they couldn't you might run out of cleared people and that's just for us normals, the people in Trumps circle are hardly normal.

When I got my clearance the first time in '00-'01 it took about 4 months, when I needed one again in '09 it took close to a year. I've had the same employer with a short break and had only moved when told, during that year of investigation I was on an interim clearance
But I imagine a renewal would have different rules than the first one.

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Right, and his job apparently allowed him to handle everything that went on Trump's desk. Also, Kushner still has not received full security clearance.
There are "dozens" of WH employees still without permanent clearances. Apparently it's normal for the process to take months. Whether it's normal for some of the checks to go on for more than a year is perhaps uncharted territory. This is an administration with a lot of hires having no previous government experience and some with a lot of international contacts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/dozens-at-white-house-lack-permanent-security-clearances/2018/02/08/50e3cfd6-0d15-11e8-8890-372e2047c935_story.html

Excerpt:

National security lawyer Mark Zaid, who represents government employees going through the security-clearance process, said it is not necessarily sinister that dozens of White House employees lack clearance. He said the Trump White House, in particular, might be going through the clearance process slowly because those working there have not previously been in government and their extensive foreign and business ties take additional time to explore. Zaid said people often operate with interim clearances for months.

Of Porter, Zaid said the accusations he faces — while “abhorrent” — might not be automatically disqualifying if he put forth evidence to rebut or mitigate them that the FBI would then have to examine. He also noted that the clearance process is intentionally shrouded in secrecy. FBI agents communicate their findings to the White House Security Office, which determines whether a person should get a clearance. No one else should be told what the FBI has found — save for the employee in question, who would normally be given a chance to step aside rather than face rejection.

“Technically speaking, there’s not really supposed to be a sharing of information along the way, at least not specific information, because people have privacy rights,” Zaid said.​

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
Damn where is the Chief of Staff hiring these people ?
Only the best from the federal pen...

I really don't think these guys are the CoS's picks I think he adopted most of them. He's managed to put his foot in his mouth over the last couple days but I really don't think he'd pick any of the loons that surround POTUS.

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Oh is responsible now?:rolleyes:
Is that how this is going to be spun? I have a better explanation grounded in reality. The picture of one of Porter’s wives with a shiner made all his supporters sthu. When reality set in and the abuse became public Kelly had no choice but to change his tune.

Reactions: ViperDesign