Top U.S. officials tell the world to ignore Trump’s tweets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Wait, so you mean tweets that are the equivalent to your creepy paranoid conspiracy theory posting uncle aren't actually the official words of the US Government?

MUNICH
    — Amid global anxiety about President Trump’s approach to world affairs, U.S. officials had a message to a gathering of Europe’s foreign policy elite this weekend: Pay no attention to the man tweeting behind the curtain.

U.S. lawmakers — both Democrats and Republicans — and top national security officials in the Trump administration offered the same advice publicly and privately, often clashing with Trump’s Twitter stream: The United States remains staunchly committed to its European allies, is furious with the Kremlin about election interference and isn’t contemplating a preemptive strike on North Korea to halt its nuclear program.

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This situation is astounding. Why hasn’t the impeachment already started? Glances at the GOP Controlled Congress. :oops:

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Sounds like US officials are slow on the uptake. I’ve been ignoring his tweets for months.

4. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

See I thought that the GOP was going to dump the guy after they got their tax cuts....BUT given the military is getting the wars they want, the obscene budget they want, and the entirety of the Administration’s upper leadership is getting no pushback on dismantling the government as the GOP and their donors want...why would they?

This administration is the epitome of the past 30 years of goals from the party (with the Dems helping along the way...seeing as they’re bought by the same interests), why everyone sees it as something new rather than just the same schtick without the PR mask (because the orange one is too stupid for the required subtlety) is beyond me.

2018 is the America that has been built by the ideology of the last 30 years, not some freak accident.

5. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

This has been happening for some time now. He Tweets something moronic, someone on his staff tells the American people they and the press are the issue because they had the unmitigated audacity to listen to the President’s words and question him when he’s caught lying, insulting or provoking. Sometimes all three in one tweet.

It’s really bizarre watching the GOP fall in line behind him while simultaneously trying to send little scraps of rationality out.

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Why would they not? When they start losing elections. No predictions on that though.

7. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

But why wouldn't they? With Pence they still get their agenda minus all the craziness.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I think with Pence, it's just a different kind of crazy.

9. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Funny thing is the guy thinks he is Aristotle or Descartes, doesn't realise in reality he looks like Gump, unfortunately for him I think every world leader thinks the same.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I’ll repeat the story I’ve heard from a former Republican Senator. 100% of the Senate and about 95% of the House know full well that he’s an incompetent clown. And it appears that most of his own White House staff now have that same opinion. About the only people who have yet to figure him out are his own voters.

11. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Love it. Every comment in posts 1-11 pretty much sums up the current state of our nation. Well done people.

Just looked at his feed. The guy is talking about Opera, NASCAR, more about fake news, more comments about Hillary. The rhetoric never stops. My favorite is the comment about the FBI dropping the ball on the Florida shooter because they were too busy investigating him. I guess he thinks the entire FBI (Approximately 35,000 people) are all conspiring against him and looking into his activities with Russia.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Except that Pence is not even half-as-worshipped as Trump is by his rabid "base". Without the blindly loyal Trump base, the GOP majority will easily disintegrate without these very reliable and loyal voters. Sure, Pence is a true conservative, and not nearly as crazy-stupid as the Orange Leader, but Pence has less than 50% of the charisma and steadfast loyalty of the frothing base.

That makes Pence a very poor replacement. And besides, who actually wants an albino alien-looking android to be the next POTUS?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sums up the political slant on this forum, when referring to this puff piece with a few quotes. Trump's negotiation play is entirely this, blow up the house and let the minions come in to smooth it over with better terms for the US. The US was never going to allow Russia to blow up Europe, Trump just wanted them to be spending at their commitment levels for NATO, something that Obama let slide for years.

14. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

You give the dope too much credit to have any kind of strategy like this.

15. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

New survey of presidential historians.

[​IMG]

(Although I do think this is somewhat unfair. It’s probably too early to rank Trump below Buchanan. And before anyone claims that this is just a bunch of liberals, among those historians who identify as Republicans, Trump ranks 40 out of 44.)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...ight-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why are we ranking presidencies a year and a couple months after their inauguration?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    This has been his go to strategy for years. You can tell because he approaches the same way each time. The US has an enormous amount of leverage that they've failed to use to get favorable terms.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Why are you insulting Gump? He wasn’t a smart man but he wasn’t an *******.

18. bopajuice, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Trump's twitter feed just about sums up the mentality of Americans. A bunch of fluff to create more partisan bickering. Really, most of his tweets are complaints, criticisms, exaggerations, and downright lies. Many tweets attach cute little nicknames to the people he is belittling. He tweets like a spoiled teenage schoolgirl who is upset because she is not the most popular kid at school. This President is a joke.

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

20. SusanK macrumors 68000

And Paul Ryan

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I would totally vote for this guy if he ran for President. Data 2020
    [​IMG]

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

We get it, you voted for Hillary. How about getting a better candidate to run against Trump in 2020.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    Close the book then, these historians say that Trump is bad, immediate impeachment.

23. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I found it funny Tillerson spent more time not answering whether or not he called Trump a moron than he would have spent simply saying “yes” or “no”.

It’s clear what his views of Trump are.