Top US Military Officer: America Is Considering Entering Syrian War

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TedM, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Yes, with Detroit officially bankrupt, the best thing we an do is focus our collective energy anywhere else. Makes sense.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Funny how the most trigger happy of the people on the Armed Services committee, John McCain who grilled the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is now considering to block his nomination to that position again, because McCain wants to go to war in Syria, while the Chairman does not.

Sounds like someone hasn't satisfied their thirst for blood.

BL.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The US Government is "considering" going to war in Syria the same way as I'm "considering" buying a Lamborghini Gallardo: Its almost certainly not going to happen, but its nice to know it would fit in my garage if I won the lottery.

It is the job of the US military to develop plans and capabilities for a whole range of different scenarios, so that the political leadership of the nation has at least the option of taking armed action if it deems it necessary. I'm sure somewhere there are US Army plans to invade Canada and Nigeria. But to claim that the US is "considering" doing so is such a distortion as to qualify as an outright lie.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

What he means is the USA is already conducting clandestine operations within Syria.

I don't necessarily take issue with this. Spearheading an offensive through, no, that's a bad idea.

6. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

The U.S. Government and its military has been highjacked by corporations and the Powers-That-Be for quite some time now. This is not the same government that George Washington an Benjamin Franklin founded. You people need to disassociate yourselves from this current Administration; that way it won't bother you as much.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It sounds to me like it is just contingency planning to be prepared if they get the order to do something, but at this point there isn't any real interest in becoming involved. And I hope it stays that way, if we wanted to be involved we should have done it much earlier before radical islamists were able to take over the revolution.

11. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Munitions and Weapon builders... not to mention the construction and defense contractors must need new contracts and want more money. A new nation to waste expensive weapons in and rebuild after said weapons destroy everything would make a nice cash infusion into these corporations.

Guess it is time to ride the gravy train and invest. :p

12. TedM thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope we aren't going back to the middle east. I know the people in Syria are suffering, but we need to focus on our country for a little while. Getting into another war wouldn't benefit either of us.

13. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Imagine the storylines of Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, all of which are mostly fictional by the way... all of them becoming real. The key players and events won't need to be exactly as the games depicted, and it will still be high hell for the rest of us.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You'd think they would have been happy with the ridiculous giveaways to them in the Senate Immigration Reform bill. (Yes, I know it's unlikely to pass due to our stellar House fo Reps.)

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Translation: I clicked a similar thread and realized it was 3+ years old..

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

More or less.
    (Didn't realize I clicked; I posted what I wanted to write in the correct post).

17. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

How about an international coalition or our global neighbors? They have lots of troops as well. Or are they too busy keeping their countries intact while letting the US try to do it all and fall apart, counter to what we're constantly told about global-this'n'that?

(just saw the 3 years old issue as well... stuff happens. To everyone.)

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We're bombing the SAA and ISIS. We've got U.S. Special Forces all over the AO. We're feeding ATGMs and MANPADs to every terrorist group that asks.

We "entered" the Syrian Civil War long ago.