Torn between the DELL U2711, NEC PA271W, and the future Apple Cinema Display 27"!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ashok0, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a PC with a Radeon card with a Display Port and I'm really interested in getting a 27" 2650x1440 display for mostly PC use and a little console gaming. I want to make sure whatever display I buy can be hooked up to a 360 or PS3. I know the DELL has a built in scaler and the Apple iMac 27" supports the 360 and PS3 at 720p with the Kanex XD adapter (I imagine the future ACD will work with Kanex too). Between the two I'm torn between DELLs over aggressive and "sparkly" AG coating, and Apple's insanely reflective glossy surface.

However, what's the deal with the NEC PA271W? I've seen a few solid professional reviews but I haven't read any hands on user comments on this display. Considering its the most expensive of the 3, is it worth the money? Does anyone know if it has a built in scaler? Does it work with a Playstation 3 and 360? Is it glossy or matte, and if its matte does it "sparkle"?

My current wide screen monitor is dying and I've gotta make a decision on one of the above three by Fall, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :D

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The 27" ACD is the cheapest of the three. NEC is mostly for professionals, not gaming by any means. Dell is average but build quality is always lacking. Go with the 27" ACD.

3. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Sorry but do you have a quote on the price point?

Also, to OP, what about video in from sources without a MDP connector? Are you just using a MDP-HDMI cable. (sauce)

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Street price for the Dell is as low as $828.00 tax/shipping. Where will you be able to get the Apple for less than that price?:D I can tell you: no where.;)

No doubt the Apple has a great price point but it can't and likely never will be below the Dell.

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Once again I'll say the 27" ACD is useless for anything but hooking up to a Mac.

If you value inputs or anything, stick with the Dell. I'll buy anything and everything Apple but the monitors aren't worth it to me. My Dell monitor (from '07)has VGA, DVI, HDMI, component, composite, and S-video as well as a card reader and 4 powered USB ports. The newer ones add DisplayPort in as well I think. I couldn't imagine not having easy access to a CF reader and inputs for anything I'd ever need.

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

Dell also has an Ultrasharp guarantee. You can return quite a few until you find the right one with good screen uniformity, no dead pixels, etc.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd like to point out that IMO the Dells have TOO many connections. It's a pain in the ass trying to cycle thru them when you only use 2 of them. I wish they had the option to disable the S-video, composite etc connectors. The Dells also have a long delay (about 5 seconds) when switching resolutions or inputs compared to other displays. I find this annoying as well on my 3008WFP. I don't notice the AG coating on my 3008WFP but they say the U2711 has a much more noticeable one.

The 27" Apple display should have more inputs available. A single mini-Displayport input is just rubbish, at least have two of them so you can use it with several devices.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'll ask again but I'm sure at this point no one can have a definitive answer. Is the Apple 27" going to be HTCP compliant?