Torn on deciding if I should get a 16gb or 32gb ipod touch!! Please help out...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shel31580, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shel31580 macrumors newbie

Okay, I know there is more space on the 32gb and it is $100 dollars more than the 16gb but I don't know if its worth it for me because I'm more into the videos, pictures, games and all the other stuff rather the songs because I am hard of hearing. I can hear music ok, but I'm not really into the music portion. For videos, can I put my home videos (from digital camera) on the touch? If so, does it take up a lot of space (some are just a few minutes long)? Anyway, I just plan on using a lot of the applications, surf the net, put videos and pictures on the touch and will probably have no more than 500 songs on it. So, will the 16gb hold just plenty for me or is the 32gb the one to go for $100 more?

Also, are the internal speakers loud in this 2nd generation touch?

Thanks for any input you can give me!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Determining worth is up to you because you value the dollar one way where a bunch of people on the internet would value it another way.
    Buy what you need/want/can afford.

3. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

When I got my iPod touch I went with the 16 gig. I think it is plenty of room I have 3 movies 1 tv show and 7 music videos plus 300+ songs and all my apps and I still have a couple gigs left. Although if you want to put more movies I would go with the 32 GB

4. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

I think you will be fine with the 16gb. I have the 32 and have about half left and i have almost 2000 songs, about 2 movies, 200 photos and have 18.7gb available. But ultimately its up to you, you have to think about what it is going to be used which it seems you do. Just figure out if everything you want to put on there fits.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Yes, you can watch mp4 videos on your ipod. To convert them to mp4, download handbrake, a quick conversion program with a preset for iPods/iPhones.

I think the 16GB is fine for almost everyone, unless you already own an ipod with more than 16GB used.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

For most people, I would reccomend the 16gb plus a pair of nice earphones or headphones to use that extra $100, but since you say you are not very into the music portion, I think your $100 would be better spent on extra space, especially if you do not plan on upgrading within a year or two. If you want to keep your iPod for at least 2 years, that extra 16gb will become very useful. If you want to get a new one in a year or so, save your leftover money for that one. That way, you can get 16gb now, and have $100 plus whatever money you could make from selling the one you are buying now for that new one.

Being an current owner of a 32gb 2nd gen and a 16gb 1st gen, I must say that the difference is noticeable. I sold off my 16gb to a family member for $100, as well as my old $100 headphones for $25, and purchased the 32gb. I have yet to fill it by putting what I used to put on the 16gb. I originally had just 3gb of music and just over 10gb of video when I first got the 16gb. That has exploded to about 15gb of music and 60gb of video as well as 2gb of apps in just over a year. I am now very glad I elected to upgrade, because that old 16gb that I sold to a family member cannot hold nearly as much as I would want it to now.

Therefore, if you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket, and have very little desire to listen to music, by all means buy the 32gb. You will be glad. I also reccommend that you purchase some sort of case or cover (or both). I use an InvisibleShield full body shield with an Incase Protective Cover, and the duo are very good. The Incase is rubbery and will not slip, and the shield protects it from scratches. (Expect to spend an additional $20-$60 on cases. I spent $55 on both of those and do not regret either purchase)

7. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

the 16gb is plenty fine for having under 3000 songs

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You say you're more into videos... what kind and format?

For videos... the 32GB is a good option! But if you're the kind who syncs his/her ipod every day or sooner... the 16GB it is!

Me.... I'm pretty lazy to be bothered to update my iPods until there's something I want direly on it! I mostly purchase stuff on my iPhone!

9. shel31580 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like to put homemade little videos that I have took by using my digital camera and plug it in to the Ipod touch. What does that mean that I would need to get the 16gb if syncs the ipod on daily basis?

All this input is great, as I may just end up getting the 32gb just to be on the safe side, but 16gb isn't too bad of an option, considering I could use the leftover money to buy a really nice case, buy some games, or probably should get a warranty. I hear that they may drop the price down for 32gb in March and might do a 64gb in the end of this year. Is that all true? ...God, this is such a hard decision which ipod touch I should buy and when is the right time to buy one!!

10. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Always check the macrumors buying guide to check and see if it's a good time to buy. Most likely there won't be any update or price changes until Sept. but who knows for sure?

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

What that means is that you can easily replace and update the content on your iPod if you sync it on a daily basis..... meaning no need for a larger than average capacity..

As far as the rumors are concerned... well I havent heard any! So cant say... but this is probably the best time to buy... as there's never really a better time to buy in technology!

12. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

get the 32 gig. then you probaly wont ever run out of space. and are the speakers loud? no i can even hear tv shows or movies out of the speaker when its turned all the way up

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would get the 32gb if you want to hold a lot of videos. Songs hold relatively small amount of space in comparison to videos. Plus, you can never have too much space :p.
    And no, it's unlikely that the iPod touch would be updated in the coming months. If you want to wait until Sept, then there is a possibility of higher capacity iPod touches.

14. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think last year about this time they doubled the iPod Touch storage capacities? Just a thought, but you might want to wait a bit and see if you can get a 64GB for the price of a 32?

However, the old question, how long do you wait???

But, you would know on here about the upgrade before the world of eBay finds out so you could sell it quick on there!

15. acedew macrumors member

You sound like your use will be a lot like mine, and I have the 16GB.

You can store tons of home videos that are a couple minutes long.

The speaker is loud enough for me to watch YouTube videos or play games in a quiet area, and just barely loud enough to hear it in the car when it's on full blast. Since you're hard of hearing, it probably won't do you much good.

I store about 5 hours worth of videos (movies, TV shows, video podcasts, home videos), about 300 pictures, 5 pages worth of apps, and 1100 songs (about 100 of which are 30-60 minute podcasts or audio book tracks) and I still have 3.3 GB free. That leaves enough room for about 7 TV shows (45 minutes long each), which I'll sync if I'm going on a trip.