Toronto’s school district has canceled trips to the US because of Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 24, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Interesting. I hadn't thought about this potential effect.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/wo...s-off-trips/MiLzxNsY9OOhxxcqB2cbfM/story.html

So Trump is making America great again by losing tourism revenue and keeping Canadian children out. Fantastic.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Vancouver canceled trips as well. Domino effect.

Donald Trump: Making America Great Again by killing America's Tourism industry. :rolleyes:

BL.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Did you think the political plays would stop at the border? Torontos liberal leader has a 12% approval and refuses to resign.

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah this is pretty stupid. There's no issues with Canadian citizens coming to the states.

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Not all school kids are Canadian citizens. Some are permanent residents, others parents on work permits etc.

Btw - there have been issues with Canadian citizens entering the US. Very small percentage though.
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...adian-citizen-told-her-she-needed-a-visa.html

Other groups have stopped travel to the US. I don't blame them personally. If one kid is denied access then the trip is screwed, and questionable whether refunds for the trip can be given.

6. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Nothing has really changed with immigration policy the last few months. Nothing that would affect children coming to the US, at least.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Excellent.

Canada is that crazy godforsaken place where they just made criticising islam a crime.

I hope they all stay there.

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

It's not only kids - teachers can be denied access too, which has occurred.

Nothing has changed - that's up to the border guard isn't it? You say that Canadian citizens shouldn't have any problems crossing the border - which is technically correct - but yet they do.

--- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    False. There is no such law.

9. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Do you have examples of Canadian teachers bringing kids on trips being denied entry to the US?

And yeah it has always been up to the border guard. That hasn't changed as far as I can tell.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Except for the ham-fisted, uncoordinated travel ban that he put in place that caused a mess at airports due to the fact that no one had a clue what was going on.

@Stella is correct. This administration is unpredictable and Trump is flying by the seat of his pants. I wouldn't want to risk showing up at the border with a bus full of kids, parents and staff only to be told that a handful of them can't cross either.

11. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yes but that travel ban had nothing to do with Canadians. Furthermore, there isn't going to be some random policy where Canadians are banned from the US. That's nonsense even for Trump.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

Stop using common sense!
    It's triggering me.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    I think there is.
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/b...lence-critics-of-islam-passes-house-of-common

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

First, that proposal was shot down and second:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/travel-news/how-trumps-election-will-impact-travel-between-canada-and-the-us/article32841779/?service=amp

"Even with a weakened dollar, Canadians account for the United States’ largest inbound travel market, with 20.7 million visits in 2015"

Even if you hate Canadians, they are a huge part of the US tourism industry. You'd think a savvy businessman like Trump would understand that.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

15. BeeGood, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

How do you know that? What about undocumented citizens that live in Canada?

And the travel ban was an example of a change in immigration policy...which you claimed hasn't happened.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

With "undocumented citizens" you mean illegals immigrants?

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

18. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

19. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not an expert on Canada's immigration law, so I'm not sure what they would be called. And I'm not sure why it matters. They live in Canada not the US

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

21. cube macrumors G5

I saw a "Visit USA" ad for the first time ever.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are also correct.

23. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well, just like any other country on the planet, when you show up you have to show your passport. If you're an undocumented immigrant (not citizen, because you can't be by definition without going through the process) from Canada and you attempt to enter any country, they will ask for papers. The US isn't unique in this lol.

I mean, I guess it's a change but not a substantial one since it's just temporary anyway.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's not rocket science:

"Illegal immigration in Canada is the illegal activity of an non-Canadianindividual staying within Canada without the legal approval of the Government of Canada."

There is no such thing as an "undocumented citizen".
    I think that's a lefty looney word creation for illegals.

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I remember when I was in high school and lived on the border. We went back and forth between Canada and the US (NY) without anything more than a driver's license, or nothing at all if you weren't old enough for that.