Toronto, Ontario

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by macdaddy1991, Jul 16, 2010.

1. macdaddy1991 macrumors member

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Fairview Mall.... most likely but I'm still debating =)
    I just see a long arse line up at Eaton Centre and a slightly shorter one at Fairview Mall.

I might go to a Rogers Store instead

3. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

hey guys have you done a mall line up before for an iPhone? do you know what to expect?

4. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Eaton Centre, Hopefully Paycheck rolls in with it...

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Dude, it's Eaton Centre, not Center. :p

I miss that place...... I used to go there almost every day- it's where my gym was.

I think I went to that Apple Store 2-3 times a week.:D

6. draz macrumors 6502a

Mall security force you to stay outside but are usually nice enough to let you camp right outside the door entrance. And they are usually organized and tell you the designated 'camping spot'.

At a certain time, usually like 6am or 7am the security opens the designated door and lets everyone inside. It is pretty much a mad dash at this point to get the front. And for those at the front to reach there asap or else they could lose their 1st in line title.

It is alot of fun, I've done it a few times but not for the iPhone. For my 3G i lined up at 4am at a Rogers Store which had an outside entrance.

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

OHai there Surely

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Ha, Eaton Centre. The line will be super long. Hope your ready.

If your not buying the phone unlocked, waiting at a carrier store is better TBH. Apple store serves five carriers plus unlocked handsets. Carrier store obviously don't.

9. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Not too sure what to expect lol my first iPhone :D
    ...hopefully by the time I get there.. there's still gona be the white one left
    also guys question I'm suppose to renew my contract with fido on June 26th, is it better to get it from Apple or Fido?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^Why are you supposed to renew your contract? Doesn't it just go month to month once the contract is over?

When you buy the iPhone, it will automatically start you on a new 3 year contract.

11. draz macrumors 6502a

Yea it wouldn't matter who you get it from. Apple can renew it or go to a Fido store if they are having launch day stuff. And yes it goes from month-to-month after your contract has expired. So just wait the extra 4 days and get it from Apple on launch day and they will go process your upgrade and contract extension instore.

They have the same powers just like Best Buy, Future Shop, Wireless Wave, etc... so they can do everything (one exception is that they are the only place you can get it unlocked :p)

12. WinstonSih macrumors newbie

That is, if they have any stock 4 days later. I'll be returning from vacation late evening on launch day and I'm hoping they'll have stock if I line up before the store opens on day two, Saturday July 31st. I'm hoping they'll still have leftovers from launch day at the Apple Store Fairview.

13. draz macrumors 6502a

I'm going to say no... especially at Apple Stores. I predict all the phones will be claimed for by 12pm on launch day from all those waiting in line (even if they haven't processed them), in all the stores across the city (including all carrier stores)

14. WinstonSih macrumors newbie

I'm hoping not. Even in the U.S. there were a number of cases when unclaimed pre-orders were left for walk-ins for the next day. Also, in previous years they've had enough iPhones to last all weekend, so I'm told. I'm not sure. If not, I'll just put myself on one of those priority lists.

15. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

16. draz macrumors 6502a

You might have to go way out there to like Barrie or Kitchener or Saint Catherines, or even take a trip to Kingston just to get one the next day.

I know from the 3G launch the Rogers store I picked had all theirs claimed before the store opened. It was a pretty decent amount compared to what news sites said other stores carried.

I'll most likely be going there if there are no pre-orders. I'm not going to say where before you all go there! :p:rolleyes:

But if you stay within the city then pick a small location that doesn't get much traffic, chances are this store might have a couple left. But then again, a lot of people might be thinking the same way

17. WinstonSih macrumors newbie

You have a point. I do however need to go to an Apple Store as I'm purchasing mine outright for full price and unlocked. Rogers, Bell and TELUS stores only sell them locked to a carrier.

Best of luck man!

18. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

curious where are you hearing that bell/rogers/telus are only selling locked iphones? i know business-wise it makes sense but i've been hearing reports to the contrary.

19. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Best of luck to you & me both!

Right now I'm thinking Eaton Centre for 2 reasons:
    Largest and head flagship store due to size and amount of traffic. (today wasn't so bad at 11:30, but Saturday at 3pm ... it was a ZOO!! Right from the entrance you could barely see any blue shirts except the genius bar.
    I know one of the mall security reps; I'm not sure he's got that shift early morning and I hope I can arrange a that day arriving late since normal hours are 9/10am for that store.
    Secondly I actually want to avoid Eaton's due to it being SO CLOSE to the Queen Street entrance escalator and the construction at that escalator (Queen street floor entrance up to Apple Store).

Then again most likely the lineup will start from MMmmuffins direction.

20. Insilin1i macrumors regular

I think the worst apple stores to go to are the ones with easy access by TTC such as Yorkdale and Eatons, since they have a subway stop right next to them/in them.

21. dark5 macrumors member

Um, Fairview is also right next to Don Mills station. All the TTC means is there will be a wave of people getting there at around the 6:00-6:30am mark. :p

22. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

...I think Square One or Sherway Garden should have the shortest line
    unless you drive there...ttc up there is almost a mission and especially to get there by 5am

23. = bluntman = macrumors regular

Hmm, attend a meeting at work or line up for an iPhone?

Descisions, descisions...

:confused:

24. nasa25 macrumors 65816

25. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

looks like a lot of people will be going to fairview based on this thread :(
    hopefully by the time I get there(8am or so)...it better not be sold out