Toronto Schools Ban Word 'Chief' From Job Titles Because It's Racist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Oct 12, 2017.

1. jdillings macrumors 68000

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So...there are just going to be no words left in the English language eventually. Can you imagine if English had grammatical gender in all nouns and adjectives like many languages do? I'm pretty sure we all would've imploded by now.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

I like "manager" better than "chief"; it just sounds better and more professional. That's more of a reason to change from chief to manager than because it might hurt the feelings of people whose feelings aren't even hurt.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hopeful that the conservatives win some ground back next year, too much focus on BS like this by the liberals. I'm sure they pumped a few million into studying the impact of using chief in the TDSB as well.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

One step closer to Newspeak. Double plus ungood.:mad:

7. AsherN macrumors 6502

There are pretty established hierarchies of titles. In a large organazation, a manager is the lowest rung of the management team. In descending order it usually goes: Chief, VP, Director, Manager, Supervisor, Lead, workers.

Besides, Chief is not a Native American word. It is derived from the Latin Caput through the French Chef. If anything, it's the Natives who has appropriated the word.

The TDSB id nucking futs.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Did none of you actually read the article?

Nowhere does it even mention the word "racist," and it even acknowledges that the racial connection is tenuous at best: "though the word has been turned into an occasional racial epithet, 'chief' has no actual connection to Indigenous culture or language." And "'We never used the word — it was an imposed word that the government introduced with the Indian Act back in the 1800s,' Redbird said. Indeed, according to Merriam-Webster, 'chief' was first used in Middle English sometime in the 15th century. Its etymological origins traced back to the Latin word 'caput,' meaning head."

Here is the actual reason: "The Toronto District School Board (TDSB) will stop using the word 'chief' in job titles, citing respect for Indigenous communities." And "'I'm not sure that chief describes what a person actually does.'"

Man, talk about a bunch of Righty cry-babies. Do you have really have nothing better to cry about that some irrelevant board deciding take job titles better and showing more respect? I think we can all use a bit of that today - respect.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    I think it varies. Yes, the C-suite execs are all "chiefs," but I have also seen chief used in pretty low-level positions too. I'd say, outside the C-suite area, chief is usually one of those fake promotions employers give out that costs them close to nothing but makes the employee happy. Chief analyst, chief barista, etc.

9. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

It's fine for school board positions. But imagine if this was expanded, how seriously would you take a "police manager" or a "fire manager" ?

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Next, we'll have to get rid of the terms "guru" and "evangelist" as used in tech positions, because they are appropriated religious terms.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I want to abolish vowels. Thy r slss.

(Nice pic in your avatar, You look very happy)

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Waiting for the SJW's to demand we remove "men" from women.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

The only reason those sound wrong is because I've been hearing the terms "police chief" and "fire chief" from before I could talk - pretty common baby boy toys and costumes, right?

On the other hand, "fire manager" is more honest. A fire chief implies he/she commands fire. A fire manager merely manages fires.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, he’s Fire Department Chief :)

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

What about Fire Marshal?

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I could get behind abolishing vowels. Look at the Welsh. They seem perfectly happy without them. And in written Hebrew, you leave out the vowels.

Thank you! I was very happy when the picture was taken. Celebrating my 20th anniversary.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

Holy unholiness, Batman! Robin will be silenced!

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Different role.
    Congrats!

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It's really dumb when you consider that the entomology of the word 'chief' is from the 1300's before the Americas were (re?)discoverd by Columbus.

Makes you wonder what the name for the 'chief' of a tribe was... and if it had common roots among the first nations languages.

But 'chief' here has two connotations associated with it. One it can be used in replacement of 'buddy', but it also can be a derogatory term if used to describe any first nation person. I've been known to use the former from time to time... :oops: never knew it could be the latter till recently.
    The TDSB is a very poorly operated and controlled organization. To call them left or right is not accurate, they are just floundering around trying to figure out how to be accommodating to a very diverse population while still not catering to ignorance.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh we clearly can't tell their political slant by the article in the OP and by looking at what they are focusing their time on.

21. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Why do you think "the right" wouldn't care about offending first nations people?

22. AsherN macrumors 6502

In proper org charts, those are usually referred to as Lead

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

My wife is a foreign language teacher. We have had that conversation many times. Imagine the horror of assigning a male gender noun (say Perro - dog) to a female dog. Heads would be exploding all over progressive land.

24. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Anybody's feelings that should be hurt from using the "c-word" but aren't need counseling.
    The NFL team should become the Kansas City Managers.

25. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

What a time to be alive. People actually getting outraged over a title name change.

Chief > Manager... oh the horror!