Torrent Downloading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pgstyle, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Pgstyle macrumors newbie

Hey forum members,

I'm looking to start downloading torrents again, which I know there is no completely safe way to do, and I shouldn't be doing it. Though I haven't done any of it for such a time I'd appreciate some help.

Could you all give me your help with telling me what application torrent client I should use, what tools or inputs I should use to ensure myself maximum safety that I could possibly get? I understand I will need Ip Filters etc, but what, where, I'm clueless nowadays. Links would be appreciated.

EDIT: Please understand that I have searched the forums and googled it all, but everything is so wide spread or dated its not very relevant.

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Software: Bits On Wheels, Transmission, Vuze, uTorrent

Precaution: Firewall and brain

Search: MRoogle

5. Pgstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well you're just looking for a debate, but as you very well know depending on what you download through torrents it can be 'dangerous' can't it.

Ok so thanks for that post but can you be more precise? Please :)

EDIT: ok so I looked at Bits On Wheels, just looks old fashioned and very un-secure, transmission says nothing about in-built security or safety, vuze looks like bloatware - is this what Azureus turned into? uTorrent looks good, but the security again looks like a downfall.

As for firewalls, you havent given me any example.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

More precise?

Some torrents contain trojans, although it is known which titles.

Firewall: System Preferences > Security > Firewall
    Brain: unique instructions

Software: those are the names of the applications, found via a search engine.
    There is even a page which compares all the software titles used to torrent on the Mac side of life. Found via search engine.

Sorry, I must be bored.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not sure why you would need an IP filter. Transmission is one of the more Mac-like clients. Your ISP may be monitoring your usage and throttle your connection if it thinks you are using too much bandwidth. There are some ways of getting around this like using ports that are meant for things like Skype so that you can fool your ISP into thinking you are Skypeing when in fact you are not. Most clients are fairly plug-and-play these days. You have to watch out for imbedded trojans (a pirated copy of iWork had one imbedded in it earlier this year) so only go to trusted sources and those that have been around for a few days at least so that any nasties are found. There are also a few websites that can scan for trojans/viruses in files so google for them.

8. Pgstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

10. Pgstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah using that now, it does actually have a blocklist, so going to give it a go. Thank-you

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

i tried (have) transmission, but it seemed a tad slow. I tried Vuze, it is ok. I am currently using UTorrent, and it is fine and quick. I believe they consider it still in beta, but they just released yet another update this past week..

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

anyone here seeding torrents 24/7? Do you get heat from your ISP for using that much bandwidth?

13. Djroids macrumors newbie

The Best Software : Utorrent
    Website to get torrents: ThePirateBay

These are quick and easy ways to get your free programs, but I do advise against this since it is illegal and all.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Vuze is apparently much lighter now (doesn't really seem like it for me), but it comes with the bluetack IP filter automatically configured.

IPFilters will block connections being made with computers in certain networks (ie those belonging to companies that will track what copyrighted material you've downloaded, MediaSentry for one). Have i said too much?

15. chill. macrumors 6502

transmission can download individual files in a pack, utorrent couldn't (at least a few months ago), not sure about now. that was the dealbreaker for me

16. Pgstyle thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm I wouldn't use piratebay...

don't you know the Swedish owners are in prison and the current holders of the entire piratebay website are the government/authorities? The original creators are in incredible debts and fines and have been sentenced to prison, and these authorities are now tracking people through it. Bad idea, I wouldn't use torrents without having a 'brain' as a guy said earlier. I'd advise you to keep up to date with this kind of information.

DON'T USE PIRATEBAY

17. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Pirate Bay is fine for legitimate torrenting, and there's no worries about someone tracking your downloads for things that are legit.

If you're talking illegal downloads, you'll find that this thread will be shut down pretty quick, since conversations on help/tips for pirating are forbidden on MR.

18. chill. macrumors 6502

where did you hear that the government took over pirate bay? i just read an article a few days ago about the owners taking the tracker of pirate down to support trackerless torrents... so i doubt that the government is in control of the website. i also don't think the authorities are tracking people through it, because the authorities don't control it and pirate bay doesn't keep any user data. the owners were sentenced to jail and to pay a fine, but they are appealing the decision

can you post an article or link? otherwise i'd take your words with a grain of salt

19. presence06 macrumors member

presence06

I used to download movies from a well known uploader (aXXo) but about a year ago I stopped because I got a letter from my ISP saying LIONS GATE Films sent them a notice i was downloading.

Scared the **** out of me.
    I stopped downloading movies but I download music mostly now.

I know a few people that upload/share all night and on the weekends and haven't gotten any letters/notices from their ISP (one has the same ISP as me)

20. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

21. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

So I just downloaded uTorrent... Is there anywhere you can download like HD movies? Also, is there anyway I can tell if the file possibly has a trojan or anything malicious attached to it?

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Discussion of such things is not done on this site.

23. ricof macrumors member

Personally I'd recommend Transmission, simple and mac-like (if that makes any sense)

I've heard Vuze is good when run in classic mode.

24. incognitoguile macrumors newbie

I'm sure builtforsin is talking about legal 'HD movies'. Don't judge a man by his username.

25. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Fair enough. Sorry about that.

Anyone know what kind of extension I need to play AVI on Quicktime?