Torture designed to gain false info on Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, May 14, 2009.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know how much clearer this can be made, and I didn't see a thread on this subject all on it's own, but it sure does paint a not-so-pretty picture.

Linked to here:

Still All About Iraq
    More here.

And anyone wondering about Congress being complicit, which they still might be, this may paint a different picture:

Graham Agrees With Pelosi: CIA Gave Me False Information About Interrogation Briefings

Even if they were, and still might be (even they seem to be afraid they might have signed off on it), I don't know about the rest of you, but I care more about who ordered this in the first place and for what reason(s).

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

As quite often it has been stated they were not tortured, and it was done to gain important information to save American lives, ...oh wait a moment...

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush and Cheney needed something anything to prove the 911 link to Iraq. Only problem there wasnt one.

Its interesting indeed Graham tells the same story. Bush/Cheney/CIA were spinning tales, they had decided Iraq earlier and didnt care if they were making it all up after the fact. Bush /Cheney and the CIA need to be on trial.
    Im trying to think was there anything that this administration didnt spin?

We need some real oversite on these folks in power. 4300 dead americans, a destroyed economy, over 100,000 dead Iraqi's and 911 had no link to Iraq.:mad:

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I will take a guess and say the "forced" and false information attained from the torture was the basis of the entire Iraq war.

Idiots :mad:

No wonder Cheney is freaking out about this info getting out...

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought we already knew this. :confused: This is new info?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Release the minutes of each meeting and all memo's regarding the issue and we will know if they were given false information. Sounds like they want to bring the hammer down on everyone else while protecting themselves.

Obviously the reasons for waterboarding was to extract information after standard practices failed and it worked on several occasions. Just because we received false information a few times doesn't negate the fact that we got useful information in other instances.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The problem is, they used it to start a war.

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

They used torture to receive false information on purpose. :rolleyes:

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I thought it was that they had nukes?

I am not a fan of the Iraq war, but I don't think that this was the justification used for the war.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They used all kinds of things, one of which was trying to link Iraq to 9/11 and terrorism.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

i understood it as speculation. hard evidence is starting to come out...

12. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

You're missing the point. Regular interrogations WERE working. Once torture started, he clammed up.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/13/interrogation.hearing/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

So say the people actually interrogating them. Every expert I've heard from has said the same. The only that say differently aren't usually experts, and the one person who was quoted by Graham in the hearing turned out to have not even been there, and retracted when he couldn't prove it did work.

The other point your missing is that though we already had good intelligence from regular interrogations, now it's being proven that we specifically were waterboarding to get info that we knew to be false. Did you not read the articles? We weren't getting the answers we wanted about Iraq, so we tortured to get them to say there were links to 9/11, when there weren't. That's the bigger picture.

How anyone can say that isn't treasonous is beyond me.

13. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Sorry I missed this earlier. It was suspected, as noted, but no one actually had come out and said we specifically were using this to get false info on the link and have the proof to back it up. You'd think this would be front page news, but since torture is just fine and works so well, I guess it's ok that we have yet more proof we were lied into this war (to add to the collection of the PNAC papers, the Downing Street Memo, the Yellowcake additions to the SOTU, etc, etc).

Like with torture itself, we kinda knew it was happening, but now we're starting to get proof of what exactly was done, how much was done, and why exactly it was done.