Tory Party policy is to deport British citizens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I read this in disbelief as I thought the Republican Party couldn’t get any lower. I give you the English Tory Party with a cretinous prime minister and an even worse Home Secretary. Two people destined for hell.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-43780621

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Good to know that we Americans aren’t the only ones who have some real POS in government.

3. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

What’s effective compensation for those wronged? $1m? How do you make those in power personally responsible so they suffer? Do they get locked up in detention for six months?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

They don't get reelected.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

They won't get compensation, no chance.

6. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

'Ignorance is no defense' which is very applicable here. Issues of immigration and the need for the right paperwork has been an issue in the UK for decades. For a resident of the UK to not know this by now they would either have to be totally stupid or totally ignorant. The past 10 years the UK government has enforced stricter immigration rules and laws, which has been reported in every national a local tabloid press. It gets talked about and reported about very often by national and local media, so for a group of people to think they can carry n living in the UK with no official paperwork to back up who they are says it all basically.

7. jeremy h, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

jeremy h macrumors 6502

Cretinous. That's a really good description of this. While one could possibly argue that people* have been a bit lax about their paperwork in one area - the people I've heard about certainly weren't lax about paying their NI and taxes for decade after decade. When this issue started to come down the tracks (it's been reported for a while now) why did no-one think 'God, this is going to be appalling' and get a grip on it. I'm mean for Gods sake how hard is it to look up affected individuals tax and NI receipts? Schools and local authorities are put in 'special measures' when they fail - I think the entire Home Office should now put in 'Special Measures' and be completely rethought over this.

* The Government were certainly lax about their paperwork in 1971

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

They've paid tax, NI, been treated on the NHS, worked and arrived in the UK as British Citizens....... There's been absolutely no reason for them to doubt their citizenship.

It was a racist policy, beyond doubt. The Home Office even produced a leaflet for them suggesting they "pretend to be Jamaican", if that isn't an acknowledgement that they're deporting british citizens to a country that will be dangerous for them, I don't know what is.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Public sector accountable. Hahahahahahahahaha

10. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Proving one's nationality isn't something the thought one has when one wake each morning. The issue is the horrific policy of the tory party and how they brutally enforced it with the help of the deporting organization. In any civilized society, the fact the victim says they were British should have immediately halted this nonsense in its tracks for that person. Then a process of discovery proves they're British, more British than you, so that the offending org sees the error and it ends right there. But the checks and balances don't exist due to this psycho May and her henchman in the home office. As I say, a special place in hell awaits these two despicable, evil individuals.

11. laptech macrumors 6502

laptech

Saying your 'British' does not work in the UK, you have to prove it and if you cannot, your marked down for deportation. There have been a few high profile cases over the years that have been heavily reported in the UK media that relates to immigration. A couple from Australia living in Scotland fell foul of changes to vistor/student visa. A pregnant woman from South Africa who used what's known as 'Health tourism' gave birth to a child in a NHS hospital in Wales, she married a local man and they lived in Wales for many years but she fell foul of the system due to not having the correct visa in the first place.

There are others but these two were very heavily reported on and both instances explained in detail as to why they became flagged up to immigration. These incidents should have set alarm bells ringing towards those who knew they did not have any legal paperwork to prove they are allowed to stay in the UK and thus get them to act. The fact many years later many immigrants have still not made sure they have legal paperwork is not the fault of any government but those who were ignorant to believe that they would not be affected.

12. jeremy h, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

jeremy h macrumors 6502

I think these (the Windrush ones) are a special case as AFAIK there was a specific naturalisation process in 1971 that automatically applied to everyone concerned. However again, AFAIK, since then government incompetently either didn't keep / or lost all the records, so these people have no official records to fall back on if their own documents get lost / stolen etc. If you or I lost a passport I wouldn't expect to lose my citizenship as a result. Also, attempts to resolve this with the Home Office appear to have ended up with a Crapita "The computer says no" - go straight to the deportation centre response.

13. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

These cases you quote don't matter to this scenario. The checks and balances for this group of migrants was thrown in the trash by May and her hatchet woman Rudd. Any amount of research would have shown that this group of people would have problems. There should have been early warning signs but as is typical with the tory party they didn't care. Perhaps deport all the tory MPs to Jamaica and deny them their citizenship of the UK then see how they fair. The tory party should stop pretending to be the world police man by bombing countries illegally and put those resources into moving heaven and earth to fix it for these people and those they have wronged. They are guilty of human rights violations here, which is in addition to May being a war criminal.

14. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

For a vicar's daughter, supposedly brought up in the bosom of the Christian faith, Theresa May has always been very low on the milk of human kindness.

She makes Thatcher look good.

15. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Okay. How about you prove your Britishness for ever year you were in the country. Thrice for each year you claim to be British. See, that's the problem with your position. It sounds good until it's applied to yourself and you realize that you haven't a hope to be able to prove it. Now picture yourself being dragged from your bed by Home Office goons who will taser you at the merest hint of resistance. Heck they would probably taser you just because they can as they get kicks from it. This is the true face of the tory party, not the cuddly portrait painted by Boris.

16. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh, but they do… they do… all the ****ing time.

17. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I can't think of any past prime minister who is as evil as May.

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

It also makes any assurances she's peddling to EU citizens living in the UK in future completely worthless.

Cometh the hour, cometh the wrong (wo)man.

19. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

She's lucky she is a leader in Trump's lifetime as she will always be seconded by him. But her legacy in purely UK political history even makes Tony Bliar look like the golden child of truth.

20. jeremy h macrumors 6502

OK, interesting update in the Guardian. It looks like the paper landing cards for the Windrush were all destroyed in 2010 when the Whitgift Home Office office was moved due to lack of storage space. It would explain why all the records vanished overnight.

21. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

May sought to create a toxic environment for EU migrants. Her apologies on this story aren’t genuine and this was deliberate..... the current UK conservative party are really very racist and not that good.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018 ---
    I’m worried about my situation here in the UK.... everything is fine now but now I know the rug can be pulled away any moment. This has my partner more worried than myself and they’re currently investigating places we can move to that are better.... so we’re in the process of getting full citizenships from grandparents countries.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am an immigrant to the UK with a PhD from a US Ivy League institution. I arrived here 24 years ago, and was basically given a pat on the back and a piece of paper granting me indefinite leave to stay and work (and get NHS treatment and UK pension rights). I found the British documentation about what is required since my arrival to be as clear as mud. If you think it is so easy to sort out, then try reading some of the documentation supplied to immigrants. Basically, you don't know what you're talking about.

The people erroneously deported were productive members of British society that were thrown out by a bunch of bigoted xenophobic heartless politicians. I understand all of this was an accident (the wrong immigrants were targeted), but it is shameful on the UK's part, as even May has acknowledged.

23. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Then it is the Windrush immigrants own fault(!)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018 ---
    Not the "UK's part", this while episode is 100% the result of the tory party. The party of the bigots.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

... elected by the UK voters. :p At least in the US Trump didn't win the majority of votes.

25. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I guess technically neither did the tory party as PR wouldn't give them a majority. FPTP is a wretched undemocratic system.