Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I think it's Toshiba, but there's a commercial with them showing how many different areas they are in, computers, and other stuff. And there's a laptop that says Toshiba, but it clearly has OS X running on it. Has anybody else seen this?

And on The Drew Carey Show, in Drew's new work place (? I haven't watched in a while, so I don't know how new it is), they have a bunch of G4 iMacs. Except there's clearly a white sticker covering the Apple Logos on them. Why do they do this? If they were going to hide a computer companie's logo, don't you think it would be a better choice to choose a generic PC box and not a G4 iMac?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
They hide logos like that all the time. They did it with the PowerBook G3 on Home Improvement, with the Apples on Just Shoot Me, etc. They also do the same with soda and other products, too. If you look carefully you'll see someone drinking "Coca" or something along those lines or a made up label just so they don't infringe on trademarks or something I guess.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Drew Carey has always had Macs on the show. My stepdad works on the show and my Mom even got a second hand iBook from them, cheap. You'll notice a lot of shows have Apples in them. Buffy, Angel, What I Like About You. They just look cooler. Sometimes they cover up the logo. Like on Friends when one of the characters had a PowerBook, and got a computer virus. It was still obviously a PBook, but you couldn't see the white apple.

I watch too much TV.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Apple's on TV

Friends has always had a Powerbook on the show, Chandler used one which included the "list" and of course the virus episode, to which I exclaimed, "that can't happen on a mac," to which my wife replied, "hush dear, it's just a tv show."

Apple's computers have shown up on '24' 'Buffy & Angel' a few on ER (although they're surrounded by Gateways) and I believe that Syndney has an iPod on 'Alias' and yes I do watch too much TV.
There's even a long shot of one at the end of Daredevil.

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
I am pretty sure Apple contracts with most of the studios. If you look carefully, most sitcoms and many movies have Apples in them. I would guess that they cover up the logos because apple probably isn't willing to put up the big bucks. I would bet that it is probably more of a trade out deal than anything.

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I know that there are a lot of Macs on TV, but it's pretty useless to cover up the Apple logo on an iMac. If you don't know that that's made by Apple, you don't know what a computer is.

And Hulugu, ER uses Dells, not Gateways.

I actually don't watch that much TV. Just shows I like, which are either comedy or fantasy. Or Adult Swim. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yikes! Our prototype Toshiba M2 with OS X compatibility was seen in public? Aarrgh!

---
Toshiba Secret Projects Department

;)

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I was at the Apple Store in the Glendale Galleria a couple of weeks ago, and I saw Drew Carey along with two Mac Geniuses walking around the store with him. I was curious to see what he was buying or asking, and after a few minutes he had purchased a couple of 17" PB's, 2 12" PB's, 4 iPods, 4 iSights, and an iMac. Drew Carey is a big Mac guy, the Mac Geniuses say he has purchased a lot of stuff from that store.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i believe they have to cover it up so they dont have to pay product placement royalties, unless apple sponsors that channel, like they do with mtv.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.