Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reports that Toshiba is due to unveil a less than 1-inch hard drive next month at the Consumer Electronics Show.

While no capacities are yet known for the upcoming drives, for reference, Hitachi currently manufactures 1-inch hard drives that hold from 1GB to 4GB of data. Competition in the mini-harddrive market continues to increase as more players are introducing comparable form factors. Hitachi recently introduced their own 1.8" hard drive which has found its way into the Dell Digital Jukebox.

As readers are aware, Apple presently uses Toshiba's 1.8" hard drives in the iPod and reportedly enjoyed nearly exclusive use of those drives from Toshiba in the first year of production.

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Cool...we may see even smaller iPods, or same size iPods with better battery life soon.

Looking forward to see what Apple has planed for the iPod.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
1" drives can't hold the capacity yet to put in the ipod. But it would be nice if they sold a 1 Gb - 4 Gb workout ipod. Smaller form factor and design with some water resistance and shock protection. I'd buy one and still use my 20 gb ipod.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
keep in mind how expensive they'll probably be at first. i don't think we'll be seeing them in low-end (cheap wise) ipods anytime too soon...

pnw

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Sport Pod
with attaching arm bands.
Featuring: iShock
Apples patented shock resistant technology that a paint shaker can't even disturb.

Also is water and sweat resistant.

Also comes in 7 cool flavour colours.

Not to mention a shock and scratch resistant outer shell and screen.

Comes in 3 capacities:
1GB
2GB
4GB

Now start sweating in style with your Sport Pod today!!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe I'm missing something here...but it seems to me that you'll never see a hard drive based mp3 player listed as shock-free. The "sport" mp3 players all have flash memory only.

If there is a spinning drive, then it will likely not be a sport ipod.

JoeMacDaddy

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2003
Plan 'O Tejas
Cheap Gen III iPods

This will mean that the prices on the current Toshiba units will be coming down in price. Apple will be able to maintain their product margins and offer reduced priced iPods. They will sell more of the current iPod design.
:)

Good news, if they have a 5 gig version then we may see a low cost iPod soon, hopefully these smaller drives will allow for longer battery life. I don't think the iPod's form factor will get any smaller, Apple would not want to lose the functionality of the current design, however it could get even thinner:)

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
1" drives can't hold the capacity yet to put in the ipod. But it would be nice if they sold a 1 Gb - 4 Gb workout ipod. Smaller form factor and design with some water resistance and shock protection. I'd buy one and still use my 20 gb ipod.

nail meet head :). I hope Apple reads these forums because this would be a great product.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
Re: Cheap Gen III iPods

Originally posted by JoeMacDaddy
This will mean that the prices on the current Toshiba units will be coming down in price. Apple will be able to maintain their product margins and offer reduced priced iPods. They will sell more of the current iPod design.
:)

Ah! That's exactly what I was thinking, b/c we should know that we won't see these smaller drives in an ipod..too expensive and not enough capacity.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Hopefully they won't run into any production problems of not being able to produce enough of 'em.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I love my iPod to death and I always take it with me when I am working out, but I have to admit, when I see the other people working out with the mp3 players around their arm, I'm a little jealous. Granted, I do see a multitude of other people with iPods, but you really dont need to carry around your entire music collection to go work out with. It would be great if Apple made some sort of workout iPod like two other people have already posted...it would be kick ass!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
well, i beg to differ...when I work out I use cardio machines and I have my iPod in its case attached to my shorts. And it works just fine. It has skipped once or twice on me, but thats no big deal. And its not like the iPod reads the music off of the hard drive continuously...it loads the info into onboard memory, which lets the hard drive spin down until it is needed again, which is about 20 minutes worth of music at a time.

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Hello? Everyone?

This is all MOOT if Toshiba doesn't provide sizes 10 GB and higher. Apple has no reason to adopt something that doesn't hold as much as the current iPods do! We still don't know what sizes Toshiba will be releasing. If this is their first release of 1-inch and below, it's probably going to be comparable to the Hitachi (duh).

This has very little immediate impact on the iPod line, folks!

applejilted

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2003
A little off topic but for the life of me I can't understand why Palm or others don't incorporate hard drives into their PDAs....it's just plain dumb as they could then easily double as MP3 players

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
PDAs don't have hard drives because a) they're hugely expensive, and b) they suck power. Nobody wants a Tungsten that costs several hundreds of dollars more and only runs for a few hours.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I just don't think my 10GB iPod will ever fill up, I have 461 songs on it. I know that's tiny compared to some, but 461 songs is a heck of a lot to me.

A 4GB iPod would be neat, for those interested in the "cool" and "cheap" factor. I probably would have gone for a 4GB'er if it had been offered when I was buying my 10GB iPod.

Oh well, 10GB= room to grow.

:) :rolleyes: :D

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by Tulse
PDAs don't have hard drives because a) they're hugely expensive, and b) they suck power. Nobody wants a Tungsten that costs several hundreds of dollars more and only runs for a few hours.

I'd take one.

But then again, that's just me. Tungstens are just so neat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.