Total plan confusion...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SecretNY, Sep 18, 2013.

1. SecretNY macrumors member

Okay, I have had an iPhone starting with the 3G with Unlimited data. I've always upgraded to the new phone every year since I like getting the latest tech. Now that ATT won't give upgrades early I decided to buy a phone for my mother (5s) and swap sims.

So my question (which I couldn't find the answer to searching) is how can I do this? And, I don't want to give up my unlimited data?

Do I add a line? Individual or Family plan? (ATT makes this so confusing).

Does a added line use the same data or do I purchase a separate data plan?

Finally, does the new line essentially get it's own 2 year contract (so in a sense I will always have a line getting an upgrade since next year my line is due?)

Thanks. Sorry if this was answered in one of the hundreds of posts...

2. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

You can add a line and do a cross upgrade. If you are ordering at an AT&T store they can swap the sims for you.
    It'll probably be easier if you do a family plan. The second line will need a data plan but that doesn't affect your unlimited data unless you move to a mobile share plan which you don't want to do.
    And the new line does start it's own two year contract.
    I do the same thing with my Mother in laws line that is on my plan and I upgrade yearly.

Hope this helps!

3. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Add a dummy line for $10 and upgrade every year.No phone needed for dummy line.

4. SecretNY thread starter macrumors member

So to clarify, when ordering the 5s, it will allow me to add a line to my existing account? Sorry for being slow, this is new to me.

If I switch to a family plan, does that screw with my Unlimited data plan? As I'm terrified to lose it, I don't want to click the wrong button.

Thanks.

Also, I don't want to add a dummy phone since my mother does need a cell phone for limited use and Facetime with the grand kids.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

No need for a dummy line as you made it clear you were buying your Mother a phone.

Buy her a new phone and line. Then swap sims. People do this all the time. The 2 year contract is actually tied to the phone number. If your throw the 5s in the trash next week, you still have 2 years on the contract.

6. SecretNY thread starter macrumors member

nostress, do you add a line as an individual or family? How does that affect the data plan? Is it shared or separate?

Thx