Resolved Total upgrade fee when not eligible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BJB Productions, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BJB Productions, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm on a family plan with ATT. I got the 4S shortly after it came out, (around November.) and when I call *639#, it sends me the standard:
    I'm somewhat confused as to what this means, can someone just simply lay it out for me of what it would cost (if even possible) to upgrade before I qualify? I'm assuming it's a huge amount of cash but I'm just wondering.

I know one option is to use another family member's upgrade but I don't know if I will be able to do that.

Thanks in advance.

2. outphase macrumors 65816

"We can offer you discounted iPhone upgrade at a 2-yr commitment pricing + $250 along with a new 2 year commitment and an $36 upgrade fee"

2-yr commitment pricing = $199 (16 GB)
    Early upgrade fee = $250
    Upgrade fee = $36

$199 + 250 + 36 + tax = $485 + tax

3. menist macrumors regular

menist

I'd will rather pay full price and not have to deal with the contract and still be able to upgrade next year. Whatever phone you get, add 250 to the discount price and 36 for activation fee.

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

My remaining question is: If I purchase the iPhone 5 (and upgrade for the huge price), will that push back my upgrade date? (Supposedly currently 05/20/2013)

5. outphase macrumors 65816

If you take the early upgrade option, it will reset your upgrade date to 20 months from your purchase. If you pay full price up front, it will not reset your upgrade date.

6. menist macrumors regular

menist

I don't think so since your paying the full non commitment price.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It would because the full non commitment price would be retail price. He gets a $200 discount off of the retail price, but has to pay the 250 because he's upgrading early.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

May be a stupid question. If I pay the $649 price (not eligible for partial!), will I still be charged that upgrade fee? Wouldn't make sense to right?

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Okay, one other question also: (if) I choose to drop the cash for the early upgrade, I'd prefer to just pre-order through Apple.

(However) would I be able to bring the phone into an ATT store and they set it up? Or would I have to physically purchase the phone at an ATT store so they can charge me the correct amount?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol wut no you can order through ATT or Apple both will charge you the correct price and ship the phone linked to your account. Actually, Apple uses ATT(and verzion, sprint) servers for the account lookups when you preorder so it's the same information. That's why things usually get hung up come pre order day.

11. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Okay, that's super helpful to know. Thank you!

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple.com would get your information from AT&T, so the bill should be the same wherever you buy it.

13. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Haha, just thought of one other question: so when I order online, and it arrives, do I have to bring it into the ATT store since I need a nano sim? Or can I set it up all right from home?

14. menist macrumors regular

menist

You can set it up at home through iTunes. The iPhone will come with a nano sim.