Totally made the right decision: HR Antiglare Macbook Pro is ridiculously amazing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peapody, Jun 18, 2010.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Coming from a poor man's antiglare (glossy+powersupport). HOLY MOLY, what a difference! Such clarity and definition, with color and brightness! I LOVE MY HR AG. I am still using the old computer while I wait for my invisible skin, and SSD to come in, but now looking at that screen with the PS antiglare protector on it, it's like unbearable.

For those who are wondering if the PS antiglare protector is a good substitute for the AG, it most definitely is not. I can see grains on the screen and it is distracting. It muddies up the screen, so glossy is the way to go IMHO if that is your only choice. Just thought I would share my elation. :D

2. withoutyou macrumors newbie

withoutyou

I just got mine yesterday. Love it. :D

Ps. MBP 15" i7 HR/antiglare 500GB/7200rmp

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

4. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Why would you put anything over the screen? Its pretty much scratch proof...

5. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I believe he did it to get a matte look for his old glossy screen. There are several matte film/protectors you can put over the screen but they are usually not a good replacement for a real matte/anti-glare screen.

6. jjp14 macrumors member

I agree, after comparing the antiglare and glossy screens side by side.. I just couldn't resist the antiglare. I think Apple's stock images of the border around the AG screen don't do it justice. I thought it looked pretty lame until I actually saw it in person. I think it looks so sleek and nice overall. Completely pleased with the results :D.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even though I love my 13" MBP..

I agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I agree too. I had a matte screen on my 2.16ghz Macbook Pro, and this one is 10x better. I am not even exaggerating. I think this is the best matte screen I have ever seen. (This is of course in IMHO..haha. I just cannot deny the colors and the vibrancy.) :)

9. Prhymeate macrumors member

I couldn't agree more. I was a bit concerned about getting a bad screen after some of the posts on here but it's perfect, no bleeding and no dead pixels. couldn't be happier :)

10. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I had a big concern because of people talking about the size of the font, and how glossy was so much more vibrant and awe inspiring. I think that HR AG is underrated almost. it surprises me because when it first came out, people were all over it. Now I see the glossy vs AG camp is much divided. I don't see as may people complaining about the glossy screen. I for one...COULD NOT deal with the glare. It was like a mirror, and annoying enough that I had to spend $50 on an antiglare that granulates the screen.

11. lukester macrumors 6502

I just got my 17" AG yesterday, still getting the thing updated but so far I have to agree there is no comparison between my old Anti glare 2.16 MBP and the new one. It is so bright and sharp. Of course the Hi res helps.
    I am getting used to the smaller print. I can always CMD + for a tad larger view.

I will review more on it later when I get it all setup.

So far though it's great.

12. sadcamper macrumors regular

I have to say that watching movies, etc. on the glossy is pretty impressive...but in my case, I will only be watching movies 10% of the time...the rest of the time doing work or browsing, the AG is ideal.

Not to say that movies still don't look good on the AG...they just lack that LCD-TV factor.

Either way, love my AG...definitely made the right decision methinks.

13. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Agreed. Another very happy 15 hi res antiglare customer here. I was surfing at the pool in direct sunlight, while my friend's laptop was completely unreadable mirror. As a filmmaker who often needs to dump footage out in the field, this was an amazing purchase.

14. SurferMan macrumors 65816

agree, my mbp 13 glares like a mofo

15. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I can't understand why everybody says that - it depends on the movie. Ever tried watching something like "Alien" on a glossy screen? Even in the evening, with dimm lights there are reflections all over the black areas of Apples glass screens.

16. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I've had my 15" AG HR MBP for 6-7 weeks and its been a workhorse since. Yesterday was my first chance I had to actually have a play so I went onto iTunes to check out their 1080 HD movie trailers and what a surprise I got. I was absolutely gobsmacked by the incredible picture quality in front of me.

I would honestly recommend the AG HR to anybody who are having the Gloss/AG dilemma. Its definitely worth the extra dough in my books.

17. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

sooooooo wish anti-glare was available for 13"!

(but SJ says everyone loves glossy... so we're all apparently wrong)

18. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

+1. I got mine and was worried about the too-small text, size difference from 13", etc. But the screen is amazing. I couldn't be happier.

19. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

The glossy screen is a definite must for me. I can hold it up and use it like a mirror so I can see my wife coming up behind me to see what I'm looking at.:)

20. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Im pretty sure he bought a matte screen mbp, not a film.

21. gavin83209 macrumors regular

^^If you reread the first post, his old computer had a film over a glossy while the new one had an AG display.

22. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

23. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Having had taste both, glossy is awesome...but it is glossy - that is the problem ;)

If I had a glossy again, I would just leave it glossy and not cover it with an AG protector.

As for high res. It is THE sweetspot for me. I tried out the 1920 x 1200 mod, and that was WAY too small. Love all this real estate, and the high res pictures I have been getting from interfacelift really pop. :cool::cool:

24. cryer macrumors regular

That's a good point on blacks reflecting... Is it really that bad though or passable?

25. Malsi macrumors regular

If only anti-glare screens were available for the iMac line......