Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 4, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's it, now I have to boycott the Wizard of Oz. :rolleyes:

Kansas, talk about a deep red state.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-orders-kansas-allow-gay-marriages-n241166

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Who the hell are they gonna appeal to? SCOTUS? :D

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When a deep red state like Kansas finally permits gay marriage, you know it's almost a done deal nationally.

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah, as if they had any say in it....

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Mine too!!

In a perfect world, they won't appeal and those that have been waiting will only have to wait one more week.

Awesome news on what will probably be a crappy election day! :D

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ah, a federal judge. Oh well, to all Kansans I say: Suck it up, Buttercup.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, must agree with you and say, mine too.

Agree, and very welcome news indeed.

The outcome of the midterms can (and doubtless will) be discussed (vehemently) elsewhere. Let's deal with that when it comes to pass….

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Agreed.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There have been times when I thought that particular thread titles lacked precision, or were misleading, or were poorly conceived - and - if replying to the thread, I might, in passing, mention this.

For once, allow me to applaud the thread title - it's brilliant. I grinned when I read it, and allowed myself another grin when I read what it was about. Well done. A lovely title, and a very welcome thread…...

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

god? pray it gets appealed?

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They already appealed to God and won. It's called Ebola. That's what WBC told me anyway.

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

WBC/Pat Robertson and a few other loonies sadly have many "people" believing that tripe.

14. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You know what's funny though? Just 2 months ago gay marriage was only legal in 17 states and 33 still had gay marriage bans. Now it will be legal in 33 states and only banned in 17. Soon to be 16 because the SC ruling is probably coming this week as well. Ahh how the times have changed. 'Murica

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Of course they will appeal. Do you think republicans would waste a perfectly good opportunity to waste taxpayer money?

16. dime21 macrumors 6502

What a backwards world view. SCOTUS has ruled twice now, that marriage is up to the states to decide. It isn't up to the feds. Marriage is no more a "done deal" nationally, than 2nd amendment rights are, or any other statute that the states each define individually.

Not to mention that Kansas being a "red state" has nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion, as the decision is not the voice of the people, but rather it's the voice of a single unelected judge.

Keep in mind that every state that has permitted this gay "marriage", with only 3 exceptions, has done so based on the whim of a single judge.

It's quite telling, that the gay agenda pushers have only managed a popular vote victory in 3 states. Three. That's it. All other states have rejected the idea in a popular vote. So count your "victories" carefully, because most thinking individuals would not call that a "done deal" by any stretch. :D

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm willing to bet all this gay marriage discussion and judicial intervention is part of the utter destruction the DNC experienced tonight in elections coast to coast.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Then you would almost certainly lose. The primary cause of these election results was voter turnout at less than 40%. The Rs do not fare as well when voter turnout is higher.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Maybe all that legalized pot smoking kept people on the couch rather than getting to the polls.

And yes I do think the culture wars on issues like gay marriage will get more GOP supporters out to vote, while the hipsters blog and watch "Girls".

20. iBlazed, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Pretty silly to go to the polls over an issue that is being settled by federal judges. A GOP majority can't do anything about gay marriage. It's not being reversed. Beside the fact, you keep forgetting that just because people vote for a party it doesn't mean they agree with every single issue they stand for. At this point, a solid majority of Americans view same sex marriage as a constitutional right. Maybe it's all the pot smoking that upsets you so much that's causing this destruction of your "family values". Poor pup.

----------

I think your senate victory is making you delusional. The SCOTUS's actions are directly responsible for gay marriage being legal in most of the country and recognized by the Feds. So, when again did the Supreme Court rule that marriage is to be defined by the states? Was it one of the last 3 times when they refused to hear the states whining appeals? :D

EDIT: I should also probably mention that you're factually incorrect. Nowhere was gay marriage legalized by a single judge. In every case, it was appealed to a circuit of judges, who upheld the lower rulings, and then appealed to SCOTUS, who refused to hear the appeals and let the lower court rulings stand. So you can thank SCOTUS, because apparently they disagree with your opinion that states get to define marriage. As for the popular vote, you also fail to mention that the 3 that legalized it are also the 3 most recent states where popular votes were held. If you put it back to a vote in states that had bans before they were effectively overturned by SCOTUS, most of the bans would have probably been reversed by the voters at this point anyway. Times have changed, and you keep forgetting to account for that. It doesn't really matter though, because civil rights are not voted on, and gay marriage is a done deal. As is the second amendment, not sure where you were going with that argument.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well, God got over his hatred of the Jews, so I guess he'll learn to tolerate gays as well.

(Eg. many medieval Christians blamed Jews for the plague)

22. malman89 macrumors 68000

No.

Closer.

The GOP knows how to do one thing well - drum up its support and get people out to vote. Democrats did that once in recent history - Obama 2008. Since then, there's been apathy or downright disdain by most liberal leaning voters. The GOP is 'fighting to take back our country' or whatever in many instances, while the Democrats are just on the sidelines tweeting about wanting change.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That's for damn sure. I hope this lights a fire under the DNC's ass.

24. malman89 macrumors 68000

Maybe, but without researching hard numbers, I've got to assume Dem turnout in 2008 was better than 2012 following 2010's Tea Party sweep. The college kids definitely didn't care as much in 2012. More will turn out simply to keep the Republicans out of the oval office, but those midterm elections matter a whole lot and seem to get skipped over.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Crappy confirmed. :p