Touch ID and Passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blader258, Sep 22, 2013.

1. blader258 macrumors newbie

Right now I have both Touch ID and the standard passcode set up as security for my 5S. For the life of me I cant figure out if it is possible to just have the Touch ID set up for unlocking the phone without the passcode option for unlocking as well. Does anyone know?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's not possible.

3. blader258 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the whole point of Touch ID was to eliminate the need for the passcode; thus resulting in improved security.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Nope.

It's for people who want/like to have a passcode set, but don't like tapping it in every time they unlock their phone.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

No, no, no.

Touch ID was never about better security, only better convenience. There needs to be a way to get in to your phone if the scanner fails. A lot of people don't seem to get this.

6. musukosan macrumors regular

Are you POSITIVE that is a true statement? I don't have mine yet so I can't confirm... and I can't view the demo videos from work, but based on other posts in this forum that I have read, it seems like it is possible.

OP, you might want to do some further research.

----------

Okay, so I just found this video.

http://www.cultofmac.com/246572/iphone-5s-first-impressions-touch-id/

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes.

8. musukosan macrumors regular

Unless I am misunderstanding what the OP is asking, please click the link above your post as it seems to prove that you are incorrect. ;)

9. kiish macrumors member

Of course it's possible, what are people rambling on about?

Simply go to Settings, then select General and then scroll down to Passcode Lock. Select this and then tap on Turn Passcode Off.

10. myMacRumors macrumors regular

To configure Touch ID, you must first set up a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode; but your passcode will be needed for additional security validation, such as:

◾After restarting your iPhone 5s
    ◾When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your iPhone 5s
    ◾To enter the Passcode & Fingerprint setting

more info at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949?viewlocale=en_US

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm completely confused. I think you may have got lost along the way.

I said you CANT disable pass code lock and only use Touch ID. Which is true.

Not sure what you are getting at.

----------

To use Touch ID, you also need to use a pass code.

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I might be just guessing, but....

Are you thinking that you need to use both, your fingerprint, and passcode as well to gain access to your screen, and that is what your question.

If so, this does not happen. The passcode entry is needed in case your fingerprint sensor malfunctions, and you need a way to unlock it, otherwise all you need is your fingerprint to enter.

Just a guess. If this is incorrect, my apologies

13. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Disable simple password. Then you can have a complex password. What would you do if something malfunctioned on the touch id and you couldn't enter you password?

14. falcora macrumors 6502

This. Entering a full alpha numeric password would get cumbersome every time, however with touch-id it is only when you reboot the phone. Much higher security. Also, it's nice to have a backup in case your finger gets chopped off. Hey it happens.

15. musukosan macrumors regular

Now I'm REALLY confused.

From my perspective, the OP was asking if you could use Touch ID without having to enter a passcode to unlock the phone. In otherwords, you touch the home button and your phone is unlocked... without entering a passcode afterwards.

So, I made a post questioning your claim that you do indeed need to enter a passcode after using touch ID.

Then I found a website that posted a video showing that you don't need a passcode after using touch ID.

Then I posted a picture for the OP that shows the settings screen where you can disable the passcode.

Then multiple people chimed in stating that you don't need to use a passcode after using Touch ID.

After all that, it seems like you are standing by your statement that you DO need to enter passcode. (But maybe I am misundertanding your statement)

So either you are not correct, or one of us in interupting the OP's question wrong and we are going around in circle's on something that we actually agree on.

To further clarify... I understand that there are times you still need to use a passcode (as myMacRumors mentioned), but you do NOT need to enter a passcode every time you want to unlock your phone using touch ID.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Just for heads up on only official Apple information to our fingerprint sensor.

NO, one does not need to enter a passcode each time when you use the fingerprint sensor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949

To configure Touch ID, you must first*set up a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode; but your passcode will be needed for additional security validation, such as:

After restarting your iPhone 5s

When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your iPhone 5s
    To enter the Passcode & Fingerprint setting

Since security is only as secure as its weakest point, you can choose to increase the security of a 4-digit passcode by using a complex*alphanumeric passcode. To do this, go to Settings > General > Passcode & Fingerprint and turn Simple Passcode off. This will allow you to create a longer, more complex passcode*that is inherently more secure. Security is further strengthened by using a mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

You can also use Touch ID instead of entering your Apple ID password to purchase content from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store. You will be*asked to scan your fingerprint with each purchase. If Touch ID does not recognize your finger, you'll be asked to try again. After five*failed attempts, you'll be given the option of entering your Apple ID password. In addition, you will*need to enter your Apple ID password after:

Restarting your iPhone 5s

Enrolling or deleting fingers”

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I understand why you are confused now.

I read it that the OP wanted to turn off the passcode and only be able to unlock the phone with Touch ID.

Touch ID bypasses the need to enter a passcode, but having a passcode turned on is still necessary.

Hope that clears up that! :)

18. LastZion macrumors 6502a

Where it gets annoying and heat really bothers me is that when you slide to reply it click on the westher for that matter you then need to enter pass code (or use scanner)

All I want is the scanner to be ther as my alternative to the slide to unlock. That's it.

As far as I can tell this isn't possible.

19. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Is anyone using their 5S as an enterprise device where your company requires a complex password?

Can you unlock your phone with Touch ID or are you still being forced to enter a complex pw until your company makes/pushes some security changes?

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

You thought wrong.

The whole point is to make passcode lock sufficiently less obtrusive that more people will use it, thereby enhancing security across the population of iPhones.

Think it through: you have TouchId enabled and no passcode. You burn your fingers and are bandaged up. How the f are you gonna call your friends to come get you from the hospital?

----------

Works with non-complex, if that's a help.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thinking it through I'd probably press home with my nose and tell Siri to call or just have the hospital staff do it. ��

Thanks. I appreciate it. I want to buy the 5S but waiting for my company to make a ruling.

22. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

It should still work with a complex password because you're still setting one.

----------

I don't think the company can mandate anything other than through a personnel policy. You're still setting a complex password.

23. jajohns8 macrumors regular

Yes, I'm using it in this scenario. It works fine. What happens is, when you put your finger on the reader, it enters the complex passcode (that you've already set up on the phone) immediately automatically and unlocks the phone. My company requires the complex 6 digit.

24. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I was confused as well as it seemed that if I pressed the home button briefly I was always presented with the "slide to unlock" screen which requires one to re-enter my passcode (which is now lengthy).

However, I found experimenting that if I hold the home button down just slightly longer I am authenticated by my fingerprint and go directly to the apps screens. No passcode needed.

Hope this helps.