Touch id and passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, Oct 10, 2013.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5S on order and this will be my first iPhone. I'm not new to apple products however. My question is to unlock the phone and I try using the touch id and that for whatever reason doesn't work for me, can I just use the passcode that I set up? I can always use the touch id again if I want to, right? In other words I can use either/or. Correct?
    thanks for a reply

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct, you have to set up a passcode in order to use Touch ID anyway in case of a failure, wet or cut finger, etc. and a passcode instead of Touch ID is required each time you reboot the iPhone.

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You can always use the passcode to unlock, even if TouchID is working perfectly. Just press your sleep/wake button or quickly tap the home button, swipe like normal and enter your passcode.

If using TouchID to unlock, just leave your finger on the home button for a second after pressing and it'll unlock. You can also, after swiping and being presented with the passcode screen, put your finger on the home button at that point and it will unlock the phone.

4. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the replies. I just wanted to get a better understanding on how it works. Thanks again.