Touch ID + Home Button Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Squilly, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I ran into a couple of issues out of the box with my 5S in space gray.
    1). Touch ID: I'm lucky if it works 60% of the time. I've tried scanning my finger multiple times and deleting profiles (idc or believe the "Touch ID learns" BS) with no luck at all. Problem keeps occurring and I may have figured out why, leading to issue 2.
    2). There are times when it's increasingly difficult (and it's gotten worse over time) to push the home button, sometimes to the point of hearing a "crack" when pushing the button. Happens if I don't press it in a while but really started to occur today.

Anyone else getting these issues?

2. bkribbs macrumors 65816

1- believe it. it exists and works. It used to get my thumb 75% of the time, can't think of the last time it missed that finger. (Still misses the ones I don't use too often)
    2- that actually sounds like a problem. I would advise a genius bar appointment.

3. Tulipo macrumors member

In my experience it learns when it fails to recognize the fingerprint by saying try again and then immediately repositioning the finger so it recognizes the print. Now when you go back and try the position that failed, it will work.

The learning technique has work every time except with my index finger where there is one position I cannot get it to learn.

4. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I wouldn't categorically dismiss a technology that works 95+% of the time for the vast majority of people. It sounds like you just got a defective unit. A genius bar appointment and a swap should make a huge difference.