Touch ID makes me enter my password now and then. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Oct 8, 2013.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I love the idea of touch ID but I envisioned not having to type a password anymore. I don't buy apps every day but maybe once a week I will buy something that requires a password. It seems that about half of the time it makes me enter a password and the other half of the time I can authenticate with my fingerprint.

Why is this? Is it normal behavior? And how does Apple decide if I need to enter my password or fingerprint when I go to download an app? It seems fairly random.

2. gCloud macrumors 6502a

as I understand it, u have to enter passwords if u haven't used print in App Store in 24 hours so unless u buy an at least an app a day u will have to enter ur password every time

3. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

That's a huge bummer? Why would Apple do that? That kind of makes touch-ID useless for 90% of users except on the lock screen. Entering my passcode on reboot also kind of bugs me.

4. boobie12 macrumors 6502

For me it stopped asking for pass codes when downloading apps. Even after 24 hours. Just needs my finger print but at first tot wasn't like this. Wonder what changed?

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It asked me last night when I downloaded a couple apps but today it just asked for my fingerprint.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you shutdown and restart your phone it will ask for the password.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You are not 90% of 5s users.

8. big samm macrumors 65816

Exactly... After restarting your phone go in settings>general>pass&finger>enter pass>Fingerprint toggle itunes & appstore off than back on again, enter your itunes password and boom you should be good until you restart the phone again...

9. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

This is true for unlocking your phone, not for the App Store. You have to enter your password after what I think is 24 hours of not downloading any new apps. I don't know anybody who downloads an app every day so this is useless to me. I don't why you need to validate yourself for downloading free apps. I don't care if somebody downloads free apps on my phone.

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816