Touch ID not accurate when surface not clean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnuff1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else notice that the Touch ID on the iPhone 5S barely works if there are previous finger prints or a layer of oil on the sensor? Its pretty annoying, I find myself needing to clean the home button more and more.

I guess this whole "sub-epidermal scanning" stuff is all a marketing gimmick, since if it really scanned beneath the skins surface it shouldn't matter if there is a layer of oil on the sensor.

2. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I've only noticed this when my kids hands are dirty and she uses my iphone. I have to clean it but again its because its dirty. So I think its perfectly normal

3. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I've never had this issue. Dirty, clean, whatever, still works for me. The thing, however, is that I did store my thumb (left & right) multiple times and at different angles to ensure that it would always read it. Always works. Love it.

4. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Mine works great almost all the time. Even when I was working on my car and had oil and grease on fingers it was working. Not excessive dripping oil, but my fingers were pretty dirty and it worked as good as it always does.

I haven't had any of the problems some have had though. I don't press and wait/rest, just press and mine will unlock almost instantly.

5. nitromac macrumors 6502

If I'm doing it at a weird angle it takes a little while. It's still pretty fast but not as "instantaneous" as pressing it the same as when I registered it with Touch ID.

I haven't had an issue with dirtiness though.

6. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I just noticed that 30 minutes ago. I'm troubleshooting a car that won't start and had to disconnect a camshalf sensor harness that was covered in oil/dirt. Makes sense if your fingerprint ridges are filled with crap.