Touch ID not working with iTunes purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BD1, Sep 20, 2013.

1. BD1 macrumors 6502

I thought touch id would work with iTunes purchases? Touch id is working fine to unlock my phone but I don't see an option to use it with buying an app? Is there additional setup required for this?

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

You need to update to ios 7.0.1 it has a fix for that problem.

3. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am at 7.0.1

Any other ideas?

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

In the Passcode & Fingerprint section where you train your fingerprints there should be a slider for "iTunes & App Store" right under "Passcode Unlock". If that isn't there I'd check and make sure that you are signed into your account in the actual "iTunes & App Store" setting.

5. Skilbo1023 macrumors newbie

Go to settings, then general, then pass code and fingerprint. Then fingerprints>, and select iTunes and App Store.

6. Azy macrumors regular

I found that after i had used it a few times with a password it then gave me the option to use fingerprint scanner. But reboot your device and you will have to use the password first time before it actives the touch is. Seems apple may have gone a little OTT as i want to be able to use my print all the time

7. Toraen macrumors member

I'm having this same problem. As far as I can tell I have I the right settings selected.

I tried doing several free purchases to see if it would eventually ask me for fingerprint but it doesn't. I've restarted the phone, restarted the app store, even did a full restore on the phone.

I am restored from a beta GM backup if that is common to anyone else having the problem.

On 7.0.1

8. Toraen macrumors member

Answering because I solved the problem - at least for me.

I went into Settings -> General -> Reset

I reset all settings (*not* content)

I had to re-enter a few passwords and such after the restart but the sensor worked for the App stores.

I suspect that coming from the developer beta there was seem crap left in or changed in the release version and when I restored from backup it didn't correctly setup the sensor and/or stores.

(Technically, I also swapped iTunes accounts in here, tried a US one and then CAN one… just in case it wasn't the reset alone).

9. jll62 macrumors regular

I'm having this issue, but reset all settings didn't work for me. Did you do the reset and the account switch at the same time? Not much of a controlled test, so I'm not sure what may have fixed the issue if that's the case.

This issue is quite frustrating.

10. redbike2001 macrumors newbie

Simple solution. You must first log into the iTunes Store. Once you have done that, you will see that the iTunes option is no longer grayed out in the fingerprint section.

11. jll62 macrumors regular

I wish it were that simple. I've logged into the store and verified that the option to use fingerprints for the store is enabled and turned on. When I go back to the store, I am continually prompted for a password with the old alert. I have yet to see the correct behavior.

I'm on 7.0.1. I've restored the phone a couple of times to see if starting as a new phone changed anything. I've tried resetting all settings. Nothing.

12. Azy macrumors regular

I think I may have just turned then iTunes setting on and off in touch id settings and then uses my password a few times

13. hidefguy macrumors 6502

Thanks this worked for me finally! So after doing reset all settings:
    1. put in a passcode.
    2. re scan fingers
    3. I noticed the toggle for app purchase was greyed out.
    4. wen to the app store and downloaded a free app.
    5. it asked for my passcode then asked if i would like to use itouch for purchases!

14. jll62 macrumors regular

THANK YOU! Doing things in this exact sequence worked for me. I had been turning on the option to use fingerprints for purchases after setting the fingerprint and before going into the store.

15. jll62 macrumors regular

Resolution?

Okay, I think I may have finally figured this out. I always enable restrictions and change the require password option from 15 minutes to immediately. When this option is set to immediately, the App Store only prompts for my password and does not offer Touch ID authentication as an option. I'm only prompted to scan my fingerprint if the option is set to 15 minutes or restrictions are off entirely.

16. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

Easy answer I discovered as I had the same problem. In the "Fingerprints" area even if you have "Passcode unlock" and "iTunes and App store" green, undo them to white. Then move them back to green (on). At that point it will ask for your Apple ID password and you should be set.