Touch ID on the back wasn’t a bad idea after all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Sep 15, 2017.

?

?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

For iPhone X

At least they could of put it on the power button.
    I mean they couldn’t trust face ID so quick. It’s slow and needs time to make it right. While Touch ID has YEARS of improvements. Maybe that’s why they delayed the launch. But the iPhone X has too many flaws for its high price.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

How do you know it is slow and they need more time?

3. michael9891 macrumors 65816

Face ID seemed quick enough in the demo to me. And I'm pretty sure the delayed release will be down to supply issues and not because of something to do with Face ID. What are the "too many flaws"?

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

No, I still think back-facing fingerprint readers are a bad idea. But for me, anything that is a degradation in current functionality is a bad idea.

If you put it on the back, now I can’t unlock my device without picking it up. And it’s never not going to be awkward fumbling around the back of the phone on a surface you can’t see.

IMO, the only sure-fire way to improve on TouchID is to make it full screen. But the verdict is still out in FaceID. Right now, it seems less convenient than TouchID (to me), but maybe the pros will eventually out-weight the cons.

5. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

6. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

From all the hands on videos I saw, it seemed to work very quickly and reliably. I don't have any reason at this point to think that it won't be a great solution. On the back would be a bad idea and I am happy Apple realized that. If you need Touch ID, the 8 is a good option for you.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

The wording on this poll is confusing.

I would not want Touch ID on back because I don't want to have to reach to the back when my phone is on my desk.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Been using face ID on my Win 10 computers and it works so well you forget about it.

9. Truefan31, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I do agree with his premise. And yeah I figured touch id on the power button would've been a good idea as well...there's really no negative to doing that.

And the video, yeah, at least make that line at the bottom basically a 3d touch for home, so much went into 3d touch, we all thought after the 7 had the solid state home button the next step was to have touch id under the screen. So even if it wasn't ready this year, move touch id to the power button and/or have the 3d touch on the line act like a home button press. Control center didn't have to move, notification center stays the same, etc.

Now you have iphones that have different user interfaces, and on top of that, it's different than on the ipads. Not being a hater, but honestly it's fragmented right now.

10. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

It does work well on them, it is only average on like the Note 8, and slow. I am hoping it is much better on the X.

11. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

ive been using the fingerprint scanner on the back of the pixel xl since it came out. the back is a perfect spot for it. your index finger falls on it naturally when you pick up the phone