Resolved Touch ID problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boomhower, Oct 20, 2013.

1. boomhower, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Got my wife a 5S and while setting it up the touch ID wouldn't register her finger and it failed. So she skipped and kept rolling. Now she wants to try again but when you go to add a finger it says it failed and to try again without ever actually trying. It just keeps saying that and doesn't allow you to actually try registering a finger. Ideas?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

1. Restore iPhone and try again
    2. Contact Apple

3. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Try "Reset All Settings." It won't erase your data, but you'll need to enter in your Apple ID and iCloud information again.

5. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same thing happen on my first 5s, although mine didn't start doing it till 2 weeks after I got it. I got it replaced at the Apple Store. The geniuses had me try to erase it and set up as new instead of using my backup to rule out a software issue, but I still had the problem after doing that so they replaced it for me.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Is anyone else able to successfully register a finger? If not it certainly does sound like a phone issue.

7. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

It won't even let you try. Hit add new finger and it immediately says it failed. Doesn't even let UI try to do a scan.

8. Jason1978 macrumors regular

Sounds like a software issue. I am able to register 2 fingers perfectly. I would try doing a full restore. Maybe even set up as new...if all else fails take it back.

9. guymarble macrumors member

Mine done this once, turned the phone off and back on and went back to normal :)

10. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

That worked.... Sometimes it is the simplest solution.