touch id question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefanboy5, Oct 12, 2013.

1. applefanboy5 macrumors member

If i just take a 5s out of my pocket and place my finger on the touch id does it unlock? or would i have to press on the home button first? thanks

2. scottish macrumors 6502a

You have to press the home or lock button first.

Not an issue though because you depress the home button and then un-depress(?) but hold your finger there.

3. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Did you set up Fingerprint Scan first? If so, yeah. Push on the home button, then place your finger on the home button.

If you haven't set up Fingerprint first, you'll have to do that.

4. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Press the home button and then let it go while keeping your thumb in contact with the button ring. As soon as you release it, it would start reading your fingerprint right away. This saves you time when compared to pressing and completely releasing the home button and then having to "touch" the button ring again for the Touch ID to scan your finger print.

5. scottish macrumors 6502a

Actually it starts reading as soon as it's pressed.

6. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

All the better! :)

7. scottish macrumors 6502a

Indeed. Found this out when using Siri.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

For those wondering why you cant just rest your finger. Its bacause the ring would sense the touch of your leg while in your pocket and try and read. And this would happen over and over and kill the battery. You need to wake it up with a little click.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The lock button can be used, too? Does that mean that the screen simply has to be turned on?

For example, suppose I receive a text message. The screen lights up to display the message, but the phone is still locked (default iOS behavior). Could I place my finger on the sensor to unlock the phone at that point?

If I slid the screen to unlock and "reply to message," the unlock screen (where the passcode can be entered) would get brought up; could I simply place my finger on the sensor to unlock the phone at the passcode entry screen, too?

(I'm still on an iPhone 4S at this point, hence the questions that could be easily answered with a bit of experimentation.)

10. gCloud macrumors 6502a

you don't have to press the home button first, rest you finger on the button for like a second while it reads then press.

11. scottish macrumors 6502a

Correct. As Mercenary says you need to wake it up. Active screen = active scanner.

Indeed

Yup.

It's hard to envisage without the thing in your hand isn't it!

----------

Sure if the screen is active/on. If not you have to press the home button or lock button first.

12. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it!