Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afbar1114, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Really cool so far. Much easier to unlock. I would like to see other apps use it soon. Bit when you turn the screen on you don't have to swipe left to unlock just hold finer down and it will unlock as well

2. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Having a difficult time unlocking it with my thumb but index finger works fine. Weird

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

its lightning fast. however I thought you could just put your finger on it with the screen off and the ring senses it? apparently you do have to push the button first. no big deal still super fast.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Not really using that function and have not set it up. Have never used a password either. Do not leave my phone laying around.

5. mikosk macrumors regular

Can you lock your phone with Touch ID and not have a passcode? I am trying to get it to work where I use Touch ID instead of a passcode, but it seems you need both? Otherwise it's a simple swipe to unlock. I wanted a little security on there and skip the passcode.

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

This. Same. I thought you could just place your thumb/finger while it's locked but you can't, no big deal at all. It's brilliant. Fast too as you mentioned.

7. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I wish there was a way to use the touch id only for itunes/apps and not to unlock the phone.

8. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I guess they need to avoid accidental unlocks with the button.

9. cynics macrumors G3

What if someone steals it? I thought that would never happen to me too. Thankfully my phone was locked, wallet not so much lol.

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just played with one at the store and I was impressed as well. Took about a minute to teach my thumb. I then did several tests and it lit up green almost instantly in every instance except one where I intentionally rolled around pretty far to the tip of my thumb. Now I'm even more excited for my gold one to come in!

11. Akack macrumors 6502a

Believe in order to setup touchid you still need to have a pass code

12. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea its a backup incase your thumb fails.

13. c0LdFire macrumors regular

No, but you'll only need to enter the passcode if you reboot or can't scan your finger. There has to be a backup method - what you if cut your finger or are wearing gloves?

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

There is no sensitive inforamtion they can access. It is all locked up in an encrypted vault app called Keeper. I am using find my phone so the phone will lock-up on reboot/restore.

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

My TouchID just burned off my thumbprints while Siri said, "kill it with fire."

Is this a manufacturing problem?

16. Brenz macrumors member

There is, you can choose what Touch ID can be used for in the settings

17. TAI182 macrumors regular

TAI182

18. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I do not want a pass code at all for unlocking the phone but I want to use touch id for apps. Is that possible?

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not possible. It can only be used for Unlocking the phone and/or confirming iTunes/App store purchases.

20. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not yet but I think it will be used soon.

21. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

To be clear, do you mean in apps or with itunes/AppStore to buy stuff?

If the latter, that's what I want to do too.

22. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I keep forgetting to not swipe! When I remember, it's just SO nice how quickly it opens. I am very impressed. Set up both thumbs & two index fingers. Works perfectly.

23. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I thought on the keynote, Apple said TouchID will only work for unlocking the iPhone - It will not be available for developers to use as they want to keep the data from fingerprints private, hence why all data is stored on a encrypted part of the A7 chip

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

So you have to press the sleep button first ?

25. Brenz macrumors member

If you mean iTunes & App store then you can use Touch ID with them but I just checked and you have to have a pass code set to even access Touch ID settings so if you want to use it for the stores you have to have a pass code or Touch ID to unlock the phone