Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afbar1114, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I have been having a lot off issues with touch ID not working. So I tried to read another print and it keeps failing. Any one else having this issue?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

No. No issues at all with Touch ID. It's been perfect for me.

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its either A) my finger...i have no prints or
    B) its broken...i brought it to apple the other day and they said it might be me....I am thinking they didnt have any replacements yet....

4. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

There is another thread on here. Apparently there is a small segment of the population that has a fingerprint that is very difficult for fingerprint readers to read. It may actually be your finger.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

if your finger is dirty or sweaty it won't work.

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We'll that would just suck. It works here and there

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Find a willing friend and have him or her scan a fingerprint on the 5s for you. If it reads their fingerprint just fine, then it's your finger. If it can't read, then it's the phone.

You could try other fingers, or even other body parts. Apparently the tip of your nose can work too, though that's kinda awkward.

8. LagLiquidators macrumors member

LagLiquidators

I've had absolutely no problem with touch id. If your having trouble, I would bet user error or your phone is defective.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its your finger, not the phone.
    Replace your finger and try again:D

10. petsounds macrumors 65816

Mine has been very intermittent – sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 touches, sometimes any finger fails 100% of the time, and most of the time a finger will accept after 3 or 4 tries. The variances have been irrespective of clean/dirty/wet/dry hands. I believe there is either a hardware or software issue going on. Quite a few people are reporting problems.

11. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Worked well for me since launch, now it Just refuses every time. Also lots of crashes and resprings starting to feel like an android.

12. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Try someone else's finger. If it works, cut their finger off and keep it on your keychain. Problem solved.

13. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Go to the apple store and get your phone checked :)

14. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to try a reset and set it up as a new phone. And see if that works.

15. LiveWireless macrumors member

Words great for me. I have 3 fingers recorded and each works almost instantly.

Any one with problems should retrain their print.

Use microfiber cloth to clean sensor if oily.

Make note of how your finger is on the sensor when you are actually using the phone, you might be holding the phone differently when you're trying to train your print.

When you get to the second stage of training, really move your finger a bit as it suggests to get the edges around the center image you trained.

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Go on an apple store and try the touch id demo on a could different 5s models. If you have the same problem it's your prints.

17. Jjsul macrumors newbie

I was having very low success rates at first. probably 1 out of 20 would work. My girlfriends prints were working fine. I just re-scanned my prints and it seems to be working really well.

The first couple times I set up the prints I think I was trying to hard to give the phone a scan of my whole finger. I was moving it around a lot. This time I just kept pressing and barely moved my finger. Seems to have solved my issue.

Hope you get it figured out!

18. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

OP, I had exactly the same issue. To fix it, I got myself a goldfinger. Now it works like a charm.

19. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Earliest appointment is in 6 days. One day after 14 day return period :)