Touch VCan I Download Files Onto IPod Via Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Miko, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Miko macrumors member

Lol.. sorry about the title I accidentally dragged some words in the title while trying to highlight some...

I've asked this before, but got mixed answers so I really need confirmation if its possible.

Does the iPod need to be jailbroken in order for it to be possible? or is it not possible with or without it being jailbroken?

Thanks.

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

To clarify, do you mean that you want to use the iPod like a flash disk?

3. Miko thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, somewhat.

I have really crappy internet at home (dial-up) and its pretty much all that's available where I live since I don't live close to a town. I want to download software and other stuff from wifi when I'm at school for example, then take it home and put it onto my computer.

Possible?

4. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Why not simply buy a flash disk and do it the easy way? It is possible with the iPod, but it's not straight forward.

5. Miko thread starter macrumors member

I do download at schools computer and put on flash drive but there's a risk that they will catch me + I gotta be at a computer to do it.

Would prefer if I could download anywhere in the school even in class.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Air Sharing Pro might do what you want. You can read its description and decide if it sounds right. Right from the app store, so no jailbreaking needed.

7. Miko thread starter macrumors member

No its not really what I need.

I want to be able to go to school with my iPod, connect to the wifi network, visit a URL such as http://www.apple.com/itunes.exe (just an example i know its not exact) where it will download the file itunes.exe onto my ipod touch so I can then bring my ipod home, hook it up to my computer, and put itunes.exe onto my computer.

8. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

9. Miko thread starter macrumors member

Nope. I don't have wifi at home, I wanna use the schools wifi (or any other wifi I happen to be at) to download files since I can't download them at home because I have really bad internet (2kb/s, laugh at it. It takes 30 mins to downloald an average song for crying out loud.)

What if a new version of iTunes comes out? I can't download it at my home since it will take weeks so I really need an alternative and an iPod Touch seems like it would be capable of doing it since it's so basic.

:S

10. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Well, there isn't another way to transfer files, other than jailbreaking, SSH'ing the iTunes installer somewhere, then transfer by USB onto your home computer.

Which I don't think is worth the hassle.

11. pilotrtc macrumors regular