Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Most of the time when I try to set up a fingerprint, it will fail and say the operation wasn't successful. Sometimes it goes through and it will work to unlock the phone for a few times. Then it inevitably works about 1 in 20 times and I turn it off to start the process again.

Is my phone defective? I bought this phone exclusively for this feature and the fact that it doesn't work is infuriating.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'd say something is amiss. I suppose you could see if it works with someone else's fingerprint? I imagine if your fingertips are worn it might be difficult to get a read but that shouldn't be the case for most people I wouldn't think.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'd say something is amiss. I suppose you could see if it works with someone else's fingerprint? I imagine if your fingertips are worn it might be difficult to get a read but that shouldn't be the case for most people I wouldn't think.

I'm pretty nerdy, and I don't think I've done anything to hurt my prints.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Most of the time when I try to set up a fingerprint, it will fail and say the operation wasn't successful. Sometimes it goes through and it will work to unlock the phone for a few times. Then it inevitably works about 1 in 20 times and I turn it off to start the process again.

Is my phone defective? I bought this phone exclusively for this feature and the fact that it doesn't work is infuriating.

Wash your hands with soap! Ha!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

It could be your phone. The poll I started is pretty convincing.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1642138/

Make sure that you are touching the silver ring. When I've registered a "miss" it's usually because I'm not touching it. Otherwise, it works flawlessly for me.

TimCook

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Australia
That was the first thing I tried to do. It did not help. I tried to clean the Home button too. Nothing worked.

You may be pressing to hard?
Mine works perfectly, but it doesn't accept my print if I unlock by pressing the home button hard from and angle (that causes the print to stretch at hence it isn't recognised)
If that's not the issue then it may just be a lemon :(

----------

Oh and your finger must touch both the metal detection ring AND the scanner. You probably knew that, but just in case :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.