TouchID not working properly while charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Oct 1, 2013.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

My touchID either doesn't work at all or takes 3-5 seconds while it is charging. I use the exact same procedure as when it is not charging and click in and leave my finger on the home button after. While it is charging it sometimes takes 3+ seconds of me holding my finger to register. Other times I hold it and wait and wait and the screen goes dark. It's like the sensor on the ring isn't working all the time when it's charging.

Anyone else have this problem or have any info on this?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Are you placing your finger on the sensor a bit differently when docked or with the cable connected? If so, you may want to re-program your print touching it exactly as you do when docked/with cable connected.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Exactly the same. I plug it in with the lightning cable and hold it in my hand the same way I normally do. I made very sure I wasn't holding it differently.

4. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

I've noticed this too! A couple times it been like my phone was frozen while charging, touch ID didn't work and when I tried to slide to enter my pass code that wouldn't work either. Had to unplug it for it to work.

5. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

6. iErick macrumors member

Hrm. I haven't seen any issues with mine or any delays.

When I saw this post, I was reminded of the post I saw on imore I linked. Only idea I had.

7. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks iErick. You nailed it. Genuine lightning cable but PowerGen charger.

I just tried with the Apple charger and no more issues.

8. iErick macrumors member

Not a problem. The OP on imore thread nailed it. I just relayed the info.

9. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

Yea it would make more sense if it was a generic charger, oh well I only charge my phone overnight so it's not a big deal for me…

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Some cheaper chargers generate RFI that can affect the operation of the touchscreen. I once tried a charger that made my phone go absolutely crazy when I touched the screen, acting as if a million fingers were pawing at it at once in random places!

It's absolutely no surprise that these can also affect the fingerprint reader, which is probably even more sensitive to interference. :)