Touching the cracks between keys on the rMBP is like touching the inside of a volcano

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trojita, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Trojita macrumors member

Damn its hot. This is my first Macbook Pro, are they usually like this? This is with running Ultrafan by the way. It's uncomfortable

I was trying to run the Witcher 1 on Mac OSX ML.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal for Apple notebooks to become hot to the touch under heavy workloads.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You touched the inside of a volcano?!?!?!?!?!:eek:

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Loads of people have touched the inside of a volcano. It just depends how deep down and close to the magma you touch.

Anyway yeah, the RMBP dissipates a lot of its heat through the top edge between the screen and keyboard, and less on the bottom like previous MBPs. I think it's better this way, since air is freely available.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

This is the way I see it with hot macbook pro, iMacs etc.

Touching the aluminum and knowing it's hot is a good thing. The aluminum is doing what it was used for. Fantastic heat dissipation. It's a giant heat sink absorbing and releasing that heat. When you compare these computers to PC's with plastic bodies and similar specs I guarantee theres an inferno inside body because plastic doesn't do anything with heat. Anand tech pointed that out in the samsung series 7 review and because of it's plastic underbody the computer throttles pretty badly.

6. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You'll find that if it's elevated slightly, so air flows underneath it as well, it stays much cooler.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I can attest to that.

I recently bought an mStand from rain design and it noticeably cooled down my macbook pro 2012.

9. chaseychasem macrumors regular

What if you're in clamshell mode?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Clamshell mode can raise temps a few degrees, but not enough to cause concern. Mac notebooks are designed to operate safely in clamshell mode.

11. chaseychasem macrumors regular

Yeah, just curious about clamshell temp differences between MBP and MBPr due to the impact of design changes.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

mStand rocks. Mine spends all day on one at work and it stays completely comfortable on all surfaces. At home, on a flat surface, it heats up quite quickly.

14. chaseychasem macrumors regular

We're fortunate nobody's discussed hot cracks so far.

15. Queen6, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you are concerned with the temperatures and want to reduce them elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of the Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing the air horizontally across the base of the computer, however don't expect miracles.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control 2.4, or here with UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp, which i personally feel is a far more elegant solution, at the end of the day you want to control your system temperature, not your fan rpm`s. For me SMC is now pretty much redundant with the latest release of UltraFan having manual control of the fans, and i am starting to uninstall it from my own Mac`s. SMC FC was a great app, however it`s functionality is no longer frequently updated.

Strictly speaking Apple`s own cooling algorithm works, albeit at sacrifice of increased temps for quieter operation, this has always been the Apple way and is really nothing detrimental to the systems, i have one MBP from 2008 all original barring a recent fan change that has an uptime of over 30K hours. The latest MBP`s need less assistance in remaining cool; for some it`s simply disconcerting the heat generated and transferred to the case, although it`s perfectly normal as the aluminium acts as a heat-sync. i have to deal with elevated ambient temperature so at times a software solution is useful. Apart from the passive cooling the Mstands bring they also offer a very sound ergonomic solution. A passive cooler and UltraFan will maximise the cooling, there is little else you can do short of reducing the ambient temperature or the system load. If I know i am going to push a system i will close all apps that are not essential as this can and does make an impact to system temperature.

High temperature in general is not overly harmful to your systems, what is far more detrimental is thermal stress, when temperatures rapidly fluctuate by significant margins in a short period of time. Anyone striving for longevity should look to minimise rapid fluctuation of temperature.

The old adage still applies; it`s easier to keep a system cool, than cool-down an already hot machine. This being said it`s not strictly necessary, equally it`s nice to know that there are options for reducing temperature.

16. Orlandoech, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think your post is quite helpful. I do have one suggestion. If you remove the post by The Great HooD at the beginning, it could avoid confusion by some who mistakenly expect to find that post in the body of this thread.

18. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Can you elaborate more about these "how deep down and close you touch" ?

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The aluminum heatsink theory was seemingly debunked before. You really should read more of the Anandtech review. In their comparison the rMBP didn't throttle much if at all while under the same load the 2011 MBP saw its performance drop 20% due to throttling. I doubt either can run at full load for hours. With the mbp you can still drain the battery while plugged into the wall. It allows for a smaller charger, but the things Apple doesn't tell you can be irritating.

20. stevelam macrumors 65816

this does not mention anything about the actual keyboard being too hot to touch.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the base of the computer gets hot, it takes just a smidgen of common sense to figure out that the keyboard will also get hot, as heat radiates in all directions and heat rises.

22. terraphantm, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012

terraphantm macrumors 68040

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The vents aren't in the front. There are intake vents along the sides near the bottom and exhaust vents at the rear, near the hinge. There are no vents on the front or anywhere else.

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Thx will do :)

----------

I know and they are very difficult to find discounted, it does work as will a strategically placed USB fan it wont be as elegant nor as portable. The Zefyr is built to a very standard much like a Mac being predominately aluminium

----------

Vents are in the side towards the front Zefyr blows cold air across the base and sides of the system, elevation increases airflow, higher fan rpm`s draw in a greater volume of air.

25. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

the rMBP runs A LOT cooler than the sandy bridge 15" MBP.