Tougher Smoking Advertisement Laws Passed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dmac77, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Personally I don't think they should be made illegal. You want to pollute your body? Knock yourself out, just don't affect anyone else along the way.

But this will be a major step in bringing some daylight to the industry. It'll be interesting to see the ingredient list (or the changes to cigs before the ingredient list has to be released).

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

As a smoker I see two sides of this. I am well aware that I am polluting my body, that smoking is a cause of cancer and no telling what is in a pack of Camel Turkish Jade. What annoys me is getting rid of the flavored Tobacco, I am not sure how far this will go but there are some good blunts with various flavors, and I think it is silly to ban these in hopes that less people will start smoking. I can see the need for more information and more warnings to people because obviously there are a number of people who smoke for years and then get cancer and blame the tobacco industry. That is like blaming the beer company for people who get drunk and kill their buddy. Also the cost of the changes will make the cost of tobacco products to go up even further.

Seems to me we should focus our efforts on things other than whether or not people smoke, or gamble, or want to pay a woman for sex.

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

6. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

What about kids like me who are forced to live with it against their will? It should be illegal for parents that have kids under their roof to smoke at least.

Don

7. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I generally agree with your line of thinking there mactastic. However, it is very difficult to be a smoker and avoid harming someone along the way. 2nd hand smoke is just as dangerous as the stuff you drag through a cigarette.

SLC

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My feeling on the subject.

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

10. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

That is a completely different issue. Making smoking against the law though isn't the answer to that problem any more than keeping prostitution should be against the law because if it was legal children might be subjected to it.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nobody said compliance was easy...

12. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

That's why I tend to thing that smoked tobacco should be banned. If people need their nicotine fix and want to pollute their bodies, they should chew or something.

Kids like Dmac77 will be developing lung cancer without having ever taken a drag on a cigarette, and all because of the actions of their parents.

SLC

13. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can you provide some evidence for that?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

See, that goes too far for me. I could support a ban on smoking where children are present, even if that means in your house or car. But what about childless smokers? Who are they harming (besides themselves) if they choose to puff in their home or car?

Or people with kids who go outside? IMHO, government shouldn't have the right to tell you what to do with your own body unless there is a compelling interest involving the rights of others.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would like an example where this tobacco ad clampdown is needed.

17. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

I guess you're right. They already do have indoor clean air acts and what not. In Utah, you can't even smoke within 25 feet of an entrance, or air intake of a building. I suppose that's probably sufficient.

I do think there should be some sort of preventative measure taken for those who would smoke in a home with children!

SLC

18. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Sure you want data on the health risks of second hand smoke to children:

American Lung Association: http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.39857/

EPA: http://www.epa.gov/smokefree/

American Academy of Otolaryngology- head and neck surgery: http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/Second-Hand-Smoke-and-Children.cfm

Dr.Spock.com (article by a Physician): http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5431,00.html

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/Features/ChildrenAndSmoke/

Office of the Surgeon General: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/factsheets/factsheet2.html

California EPA (office of environmental health hazard assesment): http://oehha.ca.gov/air/environmental_tobacco/pdf/smoke2final.pdf

I could go on and on, must I or is that sufficient?

And all that took was a basic google search for "second hand smoke and children"

SLC

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As a smoker are you asking that question in good faith, Lee?

All those numbered references on the linked page contain links to research. It's probably best to not live in denial.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

So I watch CNN, and they were talking about it and they said it banned candy and fruit(or something like that) flavored cigarettes?

Thats a the start down a road I have a huge issue with...18 years old+ should be able to decided what they want to put into their body. (regardless of the argument that these oddly flavored cigarettes are really aimed at kids, I'd like to see evidence that legal smokers aren't smoking these)

I was hoping we(America) was moving towards more legal drugs, but this seems like a step in the wrong direction

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think that was actually nicotine-laced candy they were complaining about.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't find a source, but I think there are some jurisdictions where it's against the law for an adult to smoke in a car when children are present. I don't know if that applies to the house, though.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Oh, that would make a little more sense. I'll be keeping an eye out for any news on this though

Interesting...still I would hope parents would take some personal responsibility. I know my father smoked, but never in the house(mother wouldn't let him), when we were in the car, he'd do his best to get the smoke out the windows(although we still got some), and when he's smoke when we were walking around, he's go away.

Still some risk, but a start to cut down the rest of my family's health risks

24. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Not in my jurisdiction. My mom is good about it, but my grandparents are horrible. I don't care if you do it, but not around kids.

And yes, I was the kid who took a drag from a cigarette a few months back, and I certainly won't be doing it again. I screwed up there, and I won't be doing it again.

Don

25. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

They definitely won't make it illegal, they tax the crap out of those and they make a lot of $$$. People say the reason Marijuana is illegal is because even if they tried to tax the crap out of Marijuana for a gram it would be VERY cheap, like $3.50 (said my health teacher, I'm not completely sure).