Tourist to US, prepay iPhone plan advice requested

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrMambo, Apr 17, 2012.

1. DrMambo macrumors newbie

Hi guys, as the topic says, I'm travelling to the US soon (Thursday), and I'll be there for ~3 weeks. I'm looking to use my iPhone 4 there, the more data the better, don't really care about calls etc. I'm guessing I'll have to buy a prepay sim, or some sort of topup sim.
    Any suggestions? The AT&T / Verizion websites aren't very clear when it comes to prepay / non contract phone stuff!

2. beret9987 macrumors regular

Straight Talk AT&T Compatible microSIM, can be picked up from any walmart, 45 bucks for a month of unlimited everything!

http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims

3. DrMambo thread starter macrumors newbie

4. beret9987 macrumors regular

No problem, enjoy your stay in the US!

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Straight Talk is the best bet, $45 once, and you just use it as much as you very well please! Pick up the SIM card at Wal-mart. You said you didn't care about calls, but since they are unlimited, why not? Call away :D (They also have an international card too, so you can bolt that on to your plan, and call back home cheaply/unlimitedly as well).

6. DrMambo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that plan does look good. 4G speeds for the first 200mb is plenty for social media and google maps, and I might even have enough left over to tether with the iPad at the hotel in the evenings!
    Looks like the best bet.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most hotels in the US will offer Wi-Fi, so the iPad shouldn't be an issue....as long as you don't stay at a Marriott, where they charge $10.

Also welcome to the US...don't fall for the "4G" scam :D

Also if you don't mind me asking, where in the US are you planning on visiting?

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Wow, that smart talk looks great.. I wish I knew about that back in feb. when
    I visited the bay area.
    Hopefully I remember it next time I'm down there :).

I ended up getting. Tmobile sim card. 2 or 3 dollars a day for unlimited talk text and data. But the data is only edge for iPhone... It was wayyyyy to slow. But I only needed it for 5 days so it was good enough.

9. macrazee macrumors regular

Except Straight Talk doesn't sell the SIM card at WalMart. Only phones and the refill cards, not a SIM itself. You need to order that online from StraightTalk.

10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

What about red pocket mobile? You can get a sim off eBay or go red pocket itself. They even ship international.

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Maybe because he will be in the US thursday and it's Tuesday ......... Walmart in every town in America , it's a law.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Will GoPhone work on the iPhone? I think they are getting rid of data on that soon though... T-Mobile has some good prepaid SIM-based stuff, but for the most part, you don't get 3G on an iDevice. You can also rent a Mifi through XCOM global for a short trip.

Verizon is a total no-go, since they are a CDMA carrier.