Toxic Chinese Drywall in Florida

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rt&Dzine, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I don't know if any of you have been following this from last year. Now the government is recommending the homeowners remove all the drywall. Not the same issue, but we just returned some new furniture that was made in China because it was causing breathing problems in our house. Toxic materials? I don't know but once it was out of the house, breathing went back to normal.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14812823?source=rss&nclick_check=1

2. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

The US government will do nothing to put pressure on the Chinese government to pay for the repairs. Why should they care?

3. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Why should the Chinese government pay for the repairs?

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Rt&Dzine, the Chinese government wouldn't have the responsibility, unless the manufactur is a government-owned operation. Some are; some are not.

I see it as definitely a liability within China, of course. Isn't the manufacturer of a defective or harmful product liable for damages? How is the drywall problem any different from a recall on a car?

The home builder had no way of knowing about the problem, nor the purchaser of the house. Same for those in the supply chain.

A problem with the source being China is that it could well be that we will be told that the Evil Bastard was executed, and that is adequate penalty.

From reading, this has been a problem for some 2.5 years. I've not seen details, but it is reported that the out-gassing somehow affects the electrical wiring--which must be replaced.

SFAIK, any liability insurance protecting a builder is good for one, maybe two years; maybeso defects are not a liability after one year. I don't know. But I doubt that any homeowner's insurance would cover such repairs.

Gut house; re-wire and replace all wall panels. For many, I guess, file for bankruptcy. I wonder how many of these have already been foreclosed upon and are owned by banks...

5. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Buyer Beware . . . it's getting more difficult to do so. It's virtually impossible to find out the source of some raw materials (in medicines, for instance). In this case the homeowners would have had to ask the contractors where their drywall comes from. These companies are some of the culprits — Knauf Plasterboard Tianjin, Knauf Gips, and Taishan Gypsum Co.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

If the companies refuse to do anything - which it appears they aren't; somebody has to.
    Certainly not the consumer. Buyer beware goes only so far. How can anyone research something like this?

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Apparently this happened mostly just after Katrina, when the surge in drywall demand sucked in imports from China which do not usually get sold in the US.

9. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

That makes no sense.

So, if Best Buy gave me a defective product, and them nor the manufacturer will fix it, then the government should give me moneY?

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"If the companies refuse to do anything - which it appears they aren't; somebody has to."

Nope. The only liability is upon the manufacturer, absent supplier and homebuilder knowledge of the problem--and they can only learn after the problem arises. Nobody else "has to" do anything except make sympathetic noises.

Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you. That's life.

11. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Actually it does. :rolleyes:

The manufacturer should pay Best Buy, who in turn pays you.
    If the manufacturer refuses to take responsibility then its time to press their government.

It isn't the contractor's fault the drywall was crap.

12. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

So if Apple gets a bunch of defective hard drives from Seagate, Seagate can just sit there and play with themselves? Somehow I don't think that will fly.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

It's not Apple's responsibility. Seagate, if it's the manufacturer, is liable.

Lawsuits against foreign-based companies are rarely successful; if they are, it's a matter of years and years of delays.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

First New Orleans and now Florida? It can get any better....

15. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The furniture we bought was made by an American company but it was made in China (although the salesperson made it sound like it was made in America.) So we would have had a better chance of recourse if the materials were later found to be toxic. But we had to get that crap out of the house as soon as possible.

16. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

May I inquire as to the brand of that furniture?

Thanks.

-J.-

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can press the government to go after the company for bad business practices which may be illegal in that country, but it is not the government's responsibility to pay for damages or refunds.