Toyota Claims Woman "Opted In" To Faux Email Stalking

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Oct 16, 2009.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Title shamelessly stolen from Slashdot.

Apparently, for a marketing ploy, Toyota created an imaginary stalker and harassed a woman for five days. They claimed it was ok because she opted in to be part of a marketing study. :rolleyes:

Link:
    http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=8776841

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sounds like a pretty stupid marketing ploy. Toyota should fire whoever approved it.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If this story is true, she agreed to accept communications from Toyota, as many consumers do with companies they might want to buy products from, but Toyota's agency claims that also gave them permission to use a fake stalker to frighten her and then embarrass her.

That's a ridiculous interpretation of an opt-in clause. And how exactly will this help them sell her a car!?!?

4. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Let alone the other sales they will potentially lose when a story like this gets picked up by national media who will love making this a much bigger deal than it really should be, not that it should be ignored if true.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can you imagine the meeting where these brain surgeons thought this up? :rolleyes:

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Does anyone think her loss totals 10 million dollars? I mean, working in psychiatric settings means I've seen some truly messed up people, and whilst it's impossible to quantify I'd class only a few as multi-million dollar cases. At a push (*cough*) I'd say her 'plight' isn't really worth $10m.

If it was that traumatic, she shouldn't re-traumatise herself by reliving every detail through a lawsuit. Or perhaps she could sue herself afterwards.

AppleMatt

7. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

To be honest, I think it should be handled in criminal law, but since there's no practical way to do that, a lawsuit with significant punitive damages is her only recourse.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How many people were fake-stalked in this campaign?

9. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Is it just me, but does everone want to buy a Toyota Matrix now?
    </sarcasm>

But on a serious note, I wonder what the others got...
    [​IMG]

10. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Jeez,

The worst part is I can't believe Saatchi & Saatchi (who my father worked for as a senior exec some 25 years ago in the UK) and Toyota are actually trying to defend their actions. If I was an exec I'd be paying the poor woman every penny she asked for and going for the hush-hush.

Toyota is a $300bn revenue/year company, so if news of this case spreads through the internet, and just stops 1 in 1000 sales, you've lost $300m revenue.

Even now, Toyota Japan will not be impressed.

I await to hear news of the Saatchi boys spending a few nights in County jail.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Completely stupid move on Toyota's part but $10mil in "damages"? Please. :rolleyes:

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, it pretty much worked - lots of people will be talking about the campaign now. Cheapest advertising you can get*.

(* Assuming she doesn't get 10m, and also assuming she isn't part of a fake 'astroturf' campaign!)

13. mkaake macrumors 65816

While I agree it's crazy for her to expect 10 million in damages, with a company the size of Toyota, they need a hand slap. Not sure that this is the best way to do it, but they need it right about now.

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yes, they will, but this is negative marketing and will only hurt the brand. In my mind Toyota was a loyal and safe car. This paints them as uncaring and ruthless. Frankly, I hope she wins it all. They deserve a hard slap and I won't be buying a Toyota anytime soon.

15. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

Does she herself deserve $10 million? No.
    Does Toyota deserve a $10 million judgement against them? Possibly

However, these types of cases expose issues with the law, fines, etc.
    If Toyota deserves the fine, but the person who sued doesn't necessarily deserve all of the money, then who should be the recipient of the difference?

As for Toyota, welcome to #1, sucks to be you as you are treated differently now.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Interesting idea..

You could have a 'fund', to which money from this case could go. On the other hand, when you have cases where a defendant deserves only a minor fine, but the plaintiff suffered greatly, the difference could be paid out of this fund.

Probably completely unworkable in reality, but sounds great in theory. :)

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Who thought that was a good idea? :eek:

Maybe Toyota/the agency deserve a multimillion dollar punitive damage punishment, but I don't see why this woman should be financially set for life just because if this. Lots of people get stalked for real and get nothing.

18. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

I'm unclear how this has anything to do with advertising their cars to someone... did the guy ever even mention a Toyota Matrix (or cars at all) in any of his emails to her?

19. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

[ ... scratching "Toyota" OFF of list of kinds of cars to consider next time I buy ...]:rolleyes:

20. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Why? Because some goof in the marketing department pulled this stunt? That's kinda silly.

21. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

The marketing department represents Toyota, if Toyota's marketing department feels this was a suitable promotion then people start wondering about the rest of the company....

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

Marketing will never do anything without the consent of the company itself. As mentioned, you have to question the idiot that approved it thus making the company look very bad.

23. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Not necessarily. As an example, I give you this ad:

[​IMG]

For you non-firearms people, the rounds are loaded in the magazine backwards. I'd go out on a limb and say HK did not consent to the advertising/marketing department making themselves look like fools.

24. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Toyota seems to be dropping the ball on several fronts these days.

Noticed a few recalls too. Some of which they only want to do in certain geographical areas.