Toyota halts sales of vehicles due to safety defect

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
"In an unprecedented auto-industry move — but echoing the massive Tylenol drug recall of 1982 — Toyota told its U.S. dealers Tuesday to immediately quit selling the new and used cars and trucks that it recalled on Jan. 21 because their throttles could stick open.

Toyota also said it will quit building 2010 versions of those models on Monday and that the halt will last until it finds a remedy for the stuck-throttle problem. That could take weeks, the company previously said, but it gave no forecast Tuesday."
Read the entire article at this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-26-toyota_N.htm

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It could take weeks? How hard is it to design a pedal that doesn't get caught in the floor mat? Can't they just use the pedal design from one of their unaffected cars? Sounds like a bunch of morons working in the Toyota engineering department to me, which explains why their cars are so boring and bland :D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
It could take weeks? How hard is it to design a pedal that doesn't get caught in the floor mat? Can't they just use the pedal design from one of their unaffected cars? Sounds like a bunch of morons working in the Toyota engineering department to me, which explains why their cars are so boring and bland :D
Does this mean it DOES have the same issue as the floor mat problem:

The sticking-throttle problem involves only vehicles using accelerator-pedal assemblies from CTS, a component supplier, Toyota says. Some Camry plants, for example, use assemblies from another supplier, and those cars will still be made and sold.

edge540

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Indiana
This is seperate from the Floor Mat problem. This is an actual issue with the design of the gas pedal assembly. Im sure some engineers are working overtime trying to correct this issue.

From CNN:

The situation is rare, according to Toyota, but can occur when accelerator pedal mechanisms become worn. The problem will usually develop gradually, Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said. The pedal may become harder to press and may become slower to return when released. In the worst cases, it may become stuck in a partially depressed position.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This is seperate from the Floor Mat problem. This is an actual issue with the design of the gas pedal assembly. Im sure some engineers are working overtime trying to correct this issue.

From CNN:
Ah, my bad, I assumed it was the floor mat issue (which may be the biggest fail in automotive engineering in the history of the automobile).

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
I'm amazed that this floor mat BS has actually been taken seriously. It was a cover up to buy them time to try and fix the real problem. There are testimonies of dealership employees pulling in brand new cars to prep for delivery and having the throttle stick wide open. In case you don't know, when a new car is delivered to a dealership the floor mats are wrapped in plastic IN THE TRUNK.

The real issue is that they're using drive-by-wire throttle, so some computer is glitching and locking the throttle open. Pumping the pedal will have zero effect. Toyota is not the first manufacturer whose cars with DBW have had problems like this, but they're the most widespread.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
and that is why I don't buy Japanese cars. Better quality my @ss, hey everybody, lets all go buy cars that the throttle get stuck in WOT!

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
I'm amazed that this floor mat BS has actually been taken seriously. It was a cover up to buy them time to try and fix the real problem. There are testimonies of dealership employees pulling in brand new cars to prep for delivery and having the throttle stick wide open. In case you don't know, when a new car is delivered to a dealership the floor mats are wrapped in plastic IN THE TRUNK.

The real issue is that they're using drive-by-wire throttle, so some computer is glitching and locking the throttle open. Pumping the pedal will have zero effect. Toyota is not the first manufacturer whose cars with DBW have had problems like this, but they're the most widespread.
Most cars today are drive by wire.

What bothers me more about this is Toyota has been said to be trying to hide these defects which I believe they are/were being investigated for. It seems like Toyota has become the GM, Ford, and Chrysler of the 80's if these allegations are true.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Most cars today are drive by wire.

What bothers me more about this is Toyota has been said to be trying to hide these defects which I believe they are/were being investigated for. It seems like Toyota has become the GM, Ford, and Chrysler of the 80's if these allegations are true.
Yeah, that opinion has been floating around for a few years. It seems in their quest to become the #1 automaker, Toyota has let their quality slip. They were willing to do anything to get there and stay there.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Can I get some sources on this "many cars are DBW" today mentality?

Not that I dont believe it, I just never thought a company would make something more expensive when the cheaper option is not only easier, but safer.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Can I get some sources on this "many cars are DBW" today mentality?

Not that I dont believe it, I just never thought a company would make something more expensive when the cheaper option is not only easier, but safer.
Well here's the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire. Basically the advantages are that you can get newer technologies such as adaptive cruise control and electronic steering control. Also with Steering by wire you get systems like park assist, etc.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I wonder how many schadenfreude-fueled celebrations are going on over at Honda, Nissan, and other competitors right now...

*schadenfreude: amusement/pleasure derived from others' misfortune. Figured I'd save some visits over to Wiktionary...

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
GM didn't waste any time:
General Motors launched a campaign today to attract owners of Toyota vehicles worried about the ongoing recall over sticking accelerator pedals.
The GM incentive program, which will run through the end of February, includes:

• Toyota lease holders can get up to $1,000 in lease payments to terminate their Toyota lease and buy or lease a GM vehicle. It applies to Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC vehicles.

• Financing buyers can get zero percent interest rates for 60 months on most GM vehicles.

• Cash buyers can get $1,000 down-payment assistance to get into a GM vehicle.

“It applies to any Toyota owner,” Hill said.
http://freep.com/article/20100127/BUSINESS01/100127057/1318/GM-jump-starts-campaign-to-lure-Toyota-owners

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I didn't think GM had the money to do this. But here's the easy solution.

IF YOUR PEDAL STICKS, PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND PULL OVER. If people don't know/weren't aware of what Neutral is, then the Drivers "Education" program in this country has taken a complete nose-dive.

There is honestly no excuse to die over this problem should it happen to you. I hear of people suddenly avoiding driving their cars. It's honestly more dangerous to get a tire blow at at 70MPH on the freeway than to have this happen to you. And it's probably more likely to have that blowout than your pedal stick.

Cars are machines like anything else - Prone to failure. If our education system didn't suck and taught people how things work along with how to work them, we wouldn't have nearly as many accidents in this country.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
I didn't think GM had the money to do this. But here's the easy solution.

IF YOUR PEDAL STICKS, PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND PULL OVER. If people don't know/weren't aware of what Neutral is, then the Drivers "Education" program in this country has taken a complete nose-dive.

There is honestly no excuse to die over this problem should it happen to you. I hear of people suddenly avoiding driving their cars. It's honestly more dangerous to get a tire blow at at 70MPH on the freeway than to have this happen to you. And it's probably more likely to have that blowout than your pedal stick.

Cars are machines like anything else - Prone to failure. If our education system didn't suck and taught people how things work along with how to work them, we wouldn't have nearly as many accidents in this country.
GM is sitting on ~$38 billion. So it has the money to do it. ;)

It isn't hard to shift into neutral. I guess panic hit these people and they didn't think? And if you hold the brake pedal it will stop the car even at WOT( IE: Hold the brake pedal down. Don't pump it. That will just wear out the pads without doing much in stopping you.....). C&D did a test on this. The brakes were able to bring a 550 HP Mustang to a stop at WOT.

And I agree with the education part...... Some idiot today in a 45 MPH going 50 MPH just randomly slowed down to 25 MPH when going through a green light.... I also love how people stop on the on ramp on a highway..... Yeah, going 40 MPH will make it easier for you to merge then going 0 MPH.......

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It's the decline of the manual transmission to blame IMO. If you drive an auto, you have to worry about park, reverse and drive. I'd say 98% of automatic drivers have no reason to ever put their car in neutral save for the occasional drive through a car wash. They may teach you what to do in drivers ed, but in a panic situation like that, is someone going to remember what they learned possibly decades ago when they were 15?

I drive a manual, if I need to stop, putting the clutch in and shifting to neutral is just a given. And I doubt you will ever see a fatality as a result of an accident involving a manual transmission car with it's throttle stuck at WOT.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Toyota to cut parts spending by 30 percent
12/22/2009, 11:11 AM
By Drew Johnson

Toyota – the world’s largest automaker – is forecasting its second consecutive year of operating losses, prompting the Japanese automaker to request heavy discounts from its parts suppliers. Toyota is looking to cut about 30 percent from its annual parts costs.

In order to return the company to profitability, Toyota is asking its parts suppliers to cut the prices of some parts by 30-40 percent, according to Japan’s Asahi daily. The price cuts are beig request for vehicles scheduled to hit the market by 2013.

Additionally, Toyota will make the switch to less expensive parts and materials. It remains to be seen how the less expensive parts and materials will affect the automaker’s overall quality, but cheaper rarely equates to better in the automotive world.

The price cut request is Toyota’s largest in 10 years. Although price reductions will be seen in vehicles headed for established markets, Toyota’s main reason for the cuts is to remain price competitive in developing regions.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-to-cut-parts-spending-by-30-percent.html

Toyota knew of sticky-throttle problem late last year
Toyota says it knew there were problems with accelerator-pedal assemblies from supplier CTS late last year, but not enough to warrant a recall.
Toyota says the problem appears to be due to premature wear of some mechanical parts in the CTS throttle assemblies. Hanson says that means new vehicles should be risk-free, at least long enough for Toyota to come up with a fix.

Throttle-pedal assemblies from Toyota's other supplier, Denso, are not all interchangeable, eliminating that as a quick-fix solution, Toyota says.

CTS also supplies throttle assemblies to Honda, Nissan and Mitsubishi. Those companies say their designs are different and pose no risk of sticking open.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-25-toyotalong_st_N.htm

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
This is a pretty good lesson on how a good reputation can be destroyed in short order. I can't tell whether this is plain misfortune, or the result of cost cutting, but holy crap this couldn't be much worse for Toyota. :(

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
This is a pretty good lesson on how a good reputation can be destroyed in short order. I can't tell whether this is plain misfortune, or the result of cost cutting, but holy crap this couldn't be much worse for Toyota. :(
While this is the first catastrophic recall in my memory that has hit Toyota that is rivaling Ford's cruise control switch dilemma, this isn't the first time Toyota's have been plagued with problems recently. You got the 3.0 V6 engine sludge problems, the 2005 Avalon problems( can't remember specifically what it was), 2007 Camry 6 speed auto problems( refused to shift into 2nd and 6th gear), 2007 Tundra camshaft problems, transmission issues, horrible bed flex( weak C-Pillar frame design in the rear which allows this flex), tailgate bending, and just recently heard about is frame rusting issues on older Tacoma's. Toyota's quality has slipped.